Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 11:08 AM

Re: National Service

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->
I was a National Serviceman from 1953 to 1955.

On the plus side it helped me to become more properly mature. I was actually called up at the age of 22 having got deferment to finish my studies. I was full of book learning and utterly naïve in terms of human relationships. By the time I was demobbed I was much more self-confident and ready to enter ‘proper’ employment and to mix with all sorts of people.

But there was a minus side. Yes, I did learn how to kill people in all sorts of ways and I am glad to say I was never called upon to put this skill into practice. But I also had to cope with meaningless practices and rules. When not actually fighting a war, the army tends to keep busy on many pointless (and boring) activities. I also learned to view my superiors with suspicion if not utter contempt. You could easily get into trouble for things you hadn’t done. You could just as easily get away with things you actually had done. I personally think that the swinging sixties was in part due to people who had competed their National Service viewing all authority with suspicion.

So, I am not in favour of young people spending time in the Services but I am all in favour of gap years and various programmes for voluntary service. Such an activity could do good in the world as well helping the youngsters to grow up a bit more.
I agree.

National Service could be a good thing in those days, but things are different today.

For one thing, many young people no longer have respect for authority, adults or even their own parents. They also 'know their rights'!

No, it wouldn't work today.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 11:36 AM

I agree with AT. It will never work simply because we have the do gooders who call themselves The Health and Safety Council.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 11:48 AM

I agree with all the comments who say, National Service wouldn’t work in this day and age. It wouldn’t, it’s old hat now.

I still think discipline should start from a very young age, not when it’s too late and the rot has set in.
There is less respect now.. because they don’t have to respect anything or anyone.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 12:22 PM

Somebody mentioned chain gangs earlier!
I think they could have a place for the worst case crininals,
doing simple but physical tasks like manually breaking rocks
for road building etc, where the end product is sold at a low
price to civil engineering companies?
The proceeds of this labour is then used to feed the chain
gang, thus giving them an incentive to work??
For lesser criminals they can work as back up to the real
criminals by fetching and carrying for them,
That way they can see the results of being a criminal??
I think this system should work in cnjunction with relevant
Industries and the jails!
Could something like this work?

Regards Donkeyman!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->

Regards Donkeyman!
The crims just wouldn't do it. What could be done to them to make them? Shouting? Yeah right. Beating them? Better have a whole lot of money to pay the compo. Rationing food? Same with beating them. Kerching.

But apart from anything else The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) would preclude such things as chain gangs and a whole lot more besides.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 01:30 PM

The criminals wouldn,t do it? OK Fair enough, No work, no food, simple.
Perhaps the powers that be should make sure that crime does not pay by making prison sentences tougher and longer and with little or no privileges.
Oooops! Sorry the Human Rights do gooders would not allow this.

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->

Yes, I think that's a good idea.

You could also add, for lesser criminals, making them watch corporal punishments.

Even better, public hangings (long ago discontinued) would show everybody the consequences of murder!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-08-2019, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The crims just wouldn't do it. What could be done to them to make them? Shouting? Yeah right. Beating them? Better have a whole lot of money to pay the compo. Rationing food? Same with beating them. Kerching.

But apart from anything else The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) would preclude such things as chain gangs and a whole lot more besides.
As I said earlier, no work = no food.

Don't the Yanks still do it? The Russians? The Chinese? The Saudis?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-08-2019, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
The criminals wouldn,t do it? OK Fair enough, No work, no food, simple.
Perhaps the powers that be should make sure that crime does not pay by making prison sentences tougher and longer and with little or no privileges.
Oooops! Sorry the Human Rights do gooders would not allow this.

Sod the do-gooders.

If they complain, make them sign a declaration that if they personally are victims of crime, nothing will be done about it.
See if they still protest then!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

Perhaps l wasnt clear Todgy? No work No food!
Not enough work= less earnings=less food!
Just like normal people!
Give them a couple of weeks no working they will be
volunteering to work!
By the way! Have you turned over a new leaf???

Regards Donkeyman!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top