Join for free
Page 10 of 15 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 08:46 PM

Re: The job search begins here

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Thanks Bob, very kind of you

I'm still going through the various alerts which pop up on my phone each day, some of them interesting and some not.

I have applied for six jobs so far and sent my CV off to many companies also.

Tomorrow I have a meeting with the Operations Manager at my current place of work when I'll be asking him if any suitable position is likely to exist for me within the company which doesn't involve any kind of shift work.
If there is, I may just hang on in there for a while, staying on nights after my debts are paid off. If there isn't, I will tell him he will received my resignation in due course.

It's a win-win situation to be fair, nothing to lose.
Yes I agree with some of the other posters Floydy and if I was you I would not offer my resignation, it sounds a bit too much like a threat and even though he finds you a valuable member of the workforce, he would have to set an example.....
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Yes I agree with some of the other posters Floydy and if I was you I would not offer my resignation, it sounds a bit too much like a threat and even though he finds you a valuable member of the workforce, he would have to set an example.....
Yep,

Keep them in the dark until you find something else.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 08:59 PM

Perhaps I wrote that wrongly.
I will only hand in my resgnation when I get another job with a date to begin. I would never be that stupid to leave the company before I didn't have somewhere else to start work.
precious
Brisbane Australia
precious is male  precious has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 08:59 PM

The period before finding a job can be quite enjoyable if its not too long . But Ive found the job itself can be either disappointing or quite stressful.
Of course I wish you well in your job search.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by precious ->
The period before finding a job can be quite enjoyable if its not too long . But Ive found the job itself can be either disappointing or quite stressful.
Of course I wish you well in your job search.
Thank you Precious

There won't be a period between. Maybe I'll take a week to adjust my night hours to catch up with my body clock, but I intend to hand in my notice to tie in with my new job starting. Whenever that may be.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 09:26 PM

We'll see how it goes, Aerolor.
I see your point though and I agree, I would not be doing myself any favours by telling him that I guess.
We'll see how accommodating they are towards somebody who has put in 19 years service with the company.
I hope they will be accommodating Floydy. Nineteen years is quite a long time and I would think they wouldn't want to lose you. Good luck..
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

14-08-2019, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Another reason for keeping things close to your chest Floydy – nobody knows these days about the security of their employment. If your company decided on redundancies just about the time you leave then how good would it be to be made redundant knowing you were leaving anyway and possibly having another job to go to. Especially with 19 years' service!

Stranger things have happened no doubt! Something similar happened to me in that I had given in my notice as I had found a better job – the day after I left that company folded! I thought it unusual that my notice was requested in writing, usually it was verbal, just two-weeks' notice.

Alright I had another job but I missed out on the government redundancy payment. That was only one out of four redundancies in my working life but it does go to show what can happen.
That was a stroke of luck, Baz. I have a mate like that who got made redundant from BAE about 15 years ago and got a very large lump sum payout. Three days later he landed a good job at a local manufacturer who were virtually on his doorstep. He stayed there until he retired.
he spent all his redundancy and a lot of his retirement package on a very nice apartment which he has in Scarborough. He gets his money back by letting it to friends and family.

Despite the pitfalls of my current company, they are actually expanding, though there are some serious problems with the management. I doubt it very much if I would be made redundant though, and can't wait around on nights for ever just to see if that would happen. Nope, time to move I think

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I hope they will be accommodating Floydy. Nineteen years is quite a long time and I would think they wouldn't want to lose you. Good luck..
Thank you, Aerolor. We shall see what happens tomorrow when we have a chat.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 10:05 PM

That was a stroke of luck, Baz.

– Snip –

Despite the pitfalls of my current company, they are actually expanding, though there are some serious problems with the management. I doubt it very much if I would be made redundant though, and can't wait around on nights for ever just to see if that would happen. Nope, time to move I think
That was just a thought I had in view of my own experience. Redundancy is a help when out of work, it's surprising though it doesn't last long when you've outgoings like a mortgage to pay. Good if you can get work immediately when a company folds, even better if there's redundancy too. Like you say though, no point in waiting around working nights which you don't wish to do. Hope the job search is going OK anyway and good luck with the meeting tomorrow.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

14-08-2019, 10:26 PM

Thanks Baz.
I'll let you know how it went
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by floydy ->
thanks baz.
I'll let you know how it went

Page 10 of 15 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top