Join for free
Page 9 of 15 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 09:13 AM

Re: The job search begins here

Post office are advertising for people, in Beverly and York, quite fancy it myself, but Saturday is included, which I’m trying to get out of..might suit you though floydy, I know a colleague of mine is applying for it, and he lives in Hornsea..
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
With a few applications now in the pipeline, I should really request a short meeting with my current employer to ask about opportunities within my company on days.
Whilst I do want to get off nights, if there are any suitable posts for me not working any kind of shifts it may be worth staying there as it would be much easier and the wage and holidays would still be in place, albeit with the night pay removed (which wouldn't matter too much soon anyway).

I'll request a meeting sometime this week with HR or the Ops Manager.
If they say what I think they will say, that I need to apply like everybody else when a vacancy is advertised internally, then I'll continue looking elsewhere and simply stay on nights until something comes along.
Long service and an unblemished working record counts for nothing at my place.
Hi Floydy...I think companies have to advertise all internal jobs these days even if they have a person in mind for the job....not sure where that directive came from probably a human rights thing or the EU....but it's true companies can end up in tribunals for unfair selection if they don't follow the rules....so apply for those internal jobs mister...they would be lucky to have you
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Post office are advertising for people, in Beverly and York, quite fancy it myself, but Saturday is included, which I’m trying to get out of..might suit you though floydy, I know a colleague of mine is applying for it, and he lives in Hornsea..
They only advertise for part-time staff though, Primus. I have sent them my CV though to keep on file

Originally Posted by summer ->
Hi Floydy...I think companies have to advertise all internal jobs these days even if they have a person in mind for the job....not sure where that directive came from probably a human rights thing or the EU....but it's true companies can end up in tribunals for unfair selection if they don't follow the rules....so apply for those internal jobs mister...they would be lucky to have you
Yes it's all protocol isn't it Summer, although my company does tend to be "if the face fits" type of operations. I'll request a meeting and see what they say.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 08:23 PM

Just seen this thread Floydy, I must have been on holiday when you first posted it. How is the job search going? Keep us posted on your progress and I wish you the best of luck....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Just seen this thread Floydy, I must have been on holiday when you first posted it. How is the job search going? Keep us posted on your progress and I wish you the best of luck....
Thanks Bob, very kind of you

I'm still going through the various alerts which pop up on my phone each day, some of them interesting and some not.

I have applied for six jobs so far and sent my CV off to many companies also.

Tomorrow I have a meeting with the Operations Manager at my current place of work when I'll be asking him if any suitable position is likely to exist for me within the company which doesn't involve any kind of shift work.
If there is, I may just hang on in there for a while, staying on nights after my debts are paid off. If there isn't, I will tell him he will received my resignation in due course.

It's a win-win situation to be fair, nothing to lose.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 04:19 PM

It's been a couple of weeks now Floydy.

Haven't you heard from any of the companies you applied to?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

14-08-2019, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
It's been a couple of weeks now Floydy.

Haven't you heard from any of the companies you applied to?
It's only been a week Carol. Most companies have a closing date for applications.
It's very early days yet.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Thanks Bob, very kind of you

Tomorrow I have a meeting with the Operations Manager at my current place of work when I'll be asking him if any suitable position is likely to exist for me within the company which doesn't involve any kind of shift work.
If there is, I may just hang on in there for a while, staying on nights after my debts are paid off. If there isn't, I will tell him he will received my resignation in due course.

It's a win-win situation to be fair, nothing to lose.
None of my business, I know Floydy, but if I were you I would wait before telling your boss he will receive your resignation, especially if you do not have another job as ammo. There seems to be nothing to gain from it IMO. You are going to tell him you want to change from nights to days anyway and this will make him aware you want a change. I think I would play my cards a bit closer to my chest. Tell him when you need to IMO.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

14-08-2019, 05:08 PM

We'll see how it goes, Aerolor.
I see your point though and I agree, I would not be doing myself any favours by telling him that I guess.
We'll see how accommodating they are towards somebody who has put in 19 years service with the company.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 06:20 PM

Another reason for keeping things close to your chest Floydy – nobody knows these days about the security of their employment. If your company decided on redundancies just about the time you leave then how good would it be to be made redundant knowing you were leaving anyway and possibly having another job to go to. Especially with 19 years' service!

Stranger things have happened no doubt! Something similar happened to me in that I had given in my notice as I had found a better job – the day after I left that company folded! I thought it unusual that my notice was requested in writing, usually it was verbal, just two-weeks' notice.

Alright I had another job but I missed out on the government redundancy payment. That was only one out of four redundancies in my working life but it does go to show what can happen.

Page 9 of 15 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top