Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
pathfinder
scotland
pathfinder is male  pathfinder has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 08:50 PM

National Service

I was talking to one of my neighbours and he thinks we should
bring back National Service to sort out the young team that are out of control like the stabbings in London.
My argument with that is a lot of them are on drugs
I was in the army in the 1970s and a few tours in Ireland you watched each others back you depended on the man next to you and he on you so I don't see how bringing that back would work out
in todays world
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 09:11 PM

Re: National Service

In my opinion - it should never have been stopped.

To reintroduce it now would depend on the format. If like the original it was for military service - I believe it would be a mistake. It would just teach the thugs and muggers better ways of over powering and killing people for their own ends.

If, on the other hand, it was to make said thugs and muggers do some form of community service - or even to teach them a trade - then it might work.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 09:22 PM

Do we really want thugs and criminals doing community service ?
They would be ok litter picking or something harmless I suppose but they would have to be supervised .
Chain gang comes to mind how would they be controlled ?
After the easy and lucrative pickings of criminality how would they be forced to learn a trade ?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 09:38 PM

I only knew one squaddie, he had the biggest ever chip on his shoulder, before he enlisted, he demobbed and is now in receipt of benefits, according to distant relatives, the procedure didn't do that geezer any favours, just as he didn't do himself any.
Answers are never that easy.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I only knew one squaddie, he had the biggest ever chip on his shoulder, before he enlisted, he demobbed and is now in receipt of benefits, according to distant relatives, the procedure didn't do that geezer any favours, just as he didn't do himself any.
Answers are never that easy.
You are right, Spitty.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by pathfinder ->
I was talking to one of my neighbours and he thinks we should
bring back National Service to sort out the young team that are out of control like the stabbings in London.
My argument with that is a lot of them are on drugs
I was in the army in the 1970s and a few tours in Ireland you watched each others back you depended on the man next to you and he on you so I don't see how bringing that back would work out
in todays world
It would hopefully teach them discipline and maybe some respect too. It could give them a purpose and maybe some trade skills could be used in a community service project.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 10:30 PM

What about PTSD?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 10:40 PM

This might sound a bit extreme, and I'm not sure if it's a good idea (which probably wouldn't happen anyway) but for those children who show an inclination to being wayward and disruptive within society, and In particular the school environment , where they seem to rebel against any form of authority, why not have a military school for them to be transferred to ? Boarding away from the home territory and learning as in a regular school but with strict criteria , rules and regs., along with respect and understanding for fellow humans.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 10:42 PM

It would never work.

Society has changed too much and it can never be returned to what it once was.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

13-08-2019, 10:43 PM

Like a Borstal?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top