Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 12:56 PM

You'll feel better knowing this . .

Some amazing, but useless facts.:

It takes 500 years to form 2cm of topsoil!

There are 27 species of earthworms in Britain.

The world's heaviest carrot was 20lbs (9.07kg) and grown in the UK.

The world's biggest onion was 18lbs 11 ozs and grown in the UK.

1 min 2.01 seconds is the longest time of balancing a 10lb bag of spuds on top of a pole on his chin, was won by a Canadian chap. (the strange things men get up to. . .)

Sunflowers have been used to extract toxins such as lead, arsenic and uranium from contaminated soil after the Chernobyl and Fukushima nuclear disasters.

And the daftest of all - The fastest Marathon dressed as Mr. Potato Head was completed in 3hrs 38mins 20 secs!
It was achieved by an Australian man. (Not you was it Bruce)?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 01:27 PM

Re: You'll feel better knowing this . .

You are right I feel much better for knowing that odd how men seem to feature so often in these strange challenges
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 01:29 PM

I do enjoy all these facts and figures. It makes you think.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 03:24 PM

How interesting Mups. Do you mean that they grew fields of sunflowers to extract the toxins from the soil? As far as I know they are still testing the sheep in the Snowdonia area from the fallout from Chernobyl. Perhaps they should be growing sunflowers there (fat chance!)
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 03:39 PM

and what about slugs and snails ?

Is it true that they have a kind of 'homing device (like frogs) and will return to your garden unless you take them at least a mile away ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
You are right I feel much better for knowing that odd how men seem to feature so often in these strange challenges

Yes Julie, I noticed the same.
An American man also holds the record for "The most Pringles eaten individually while juggling two potatoes in the opposite hand, and balancing on a rola bola (whatever that is)".

At the risk of being chased off the forum by our gentlemen members here, I can't help but observe how strange what some males of the species do in their spare time.

(not sure if this should have gone in General chat Meg)?
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 06:56 PM

Thanks Mups - reading those facts has definitely made me feel better !!
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->

Is it true that they have a kind of 'homing device (like frogs) and will return to your garden unless you take them at least a mile away ?
I don't know about slugs and snails, but hedgehogs come back and I took him into the flippin' field !!

I love hedgehogs, but he had found the mealworms put out for 'No Tail' (god rest his soul!!) and every night 'Hedgie' would squeeze through the iron gate walk all the way around the house to the mealworms, which in turn would upset my dog as she could sense he was there. Amazing! I don't know how Hedgie found the mealworms and I don't how the dog could sense Hedgie was in the garden !! More intelligent than me that's for sure !!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-01-2015, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->

You've lost me a bit Rachel, what has a slugs homing device got to do with giant vegetables and sunflowers? It's probably me being a bit dim, but I don't follow you?

My Mum had loads of frogs in her little pond though, and they came back for many, many years to mate and spawn again. In the summer you had to be ever so careful cutting the grass, because tiny baby frogs were hopping about everywhere.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2015, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You've lost me a bit Rachel, what has a slugs homing device got to do with giant vegetables and sunflowers? It's probably me being a bit dim, but I don't follow you?

Take no notice of me ~ I do have a tendency to go wander off the subject

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top