Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2011, 08:30 AM

**Seasonal Canine Illness updated @post 9

I don't want to cause alarm, but I would like to make dog owners aware of a mysery illness in Clumber/Sherwood/Sandringham/Lincs. aeas which is causing dogs to become very sick and die. From the news it appears to be a seasonal problem and is some sort of naturally occurring poisoning. It is not someone deliberately laying poison and is thought to be connected to the weather conditions. Blue green algae and/or some sort of fungus spores have been thought to be connected with the problem.

There was an outbreak of the same thing last year and dog owners are being told to be careful. Affected dogs will beome ill quite quickly with vomitting and diarrhoea and can die.

I was made aware of this by my neighbour this morning whose collie pup has been quite ill over the last few days. My pup Bonnie has been affected by something similar, but she appears to have got away quite lightly - and her problem might not have been connected.

Please Google "dogs poisoned in Clumber park" for more information.

I know Plantman "Barry" lives in Sherwood area - perhaps he knows something about this problem.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2011, 10:05 AM

Re: **Seasonal Canine Illness updated @post 9

Ironically we were just talking of this yesterday whilst out on our walk with Oscar, but we are no wiser now than we have been over the last couple of years. No-one seems to know the cause although the main suspect seems to be some kind of fungal spore. It is so hard to nail down because so very few dogs, out of the tens of thousands of dogs walked, are actually affected by the problem.

Although dogs have been very ill and in some cases died, it is thought that the animal needs to have an allergy to the cause in the first place to be affected, a bit like hay fever sufferers for example. However, I know no more than anyone else and all we have really is rumour, theory and conjecture. Let's just hope that whatever it is, it passes quickly and any dogs that are affected fully recover.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2011, 03:48 PM

It is a worry for people in these areas, I wonder if vets have done any Post Mortems .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
It is a worry for people in these areas, I wonder if vets have done any Post Mortems .
Apparently they have Meg, but no-one has been able to identify any toxins, a total mystery I'm afraid....
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2011, 06:19 PM

Oh what a shame, there is some sort of fungas on Talkin Tarn and there were notices for the last few years, not to let your dog swim in the Tarn. you can see it just under the water.We dont go now as Madam has taken a dislike to it.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2011, 09:31 PM

There was an outbreak of something similar round where I am-was put down to the blue/green algae. Not heard of anything this year though. Very sad that pets had died/been very poorly because of this.....
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

07-12-2011, 09:13 AM

It seems an answer may have been found to this illness. I was reading yesterday that the cause may be bites from infestations of harvest mites. ..
Full story here.....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2011, 11:15 AM

Thanks Barry. It seems to make sense that an insect bite could be the problem and now it's colder they have disappeared for a while.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2012, 09:48 AM

Information cross posted from Dogsey.

There is to be an item about 'Seasonal Canine Illness' (SCI) on BBC’s Countryfile next Sunday 21st October

You can find further information about SCI here www.aht.org.uk/sci
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

17-10-2012, 08:46 PM

Thank you for the information Meg. I usually watch Countryfile. I have not heard of anyone's dog being affected this year and they may have now found out what causes it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top