Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 06:18 PM

Re: Scotland Ban Smacking

It’s the it weird all these laws about smacking yet little babies are frequently beaten to death by live ins who then get derisory sentences from judges .

Poor baby Peter comes to mind .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Is it just me that thought this was made illegal years ago?
I thought it illegal in England already too.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I thought it illegal in England already too.
Oh maybe it is then, I didn't know when I wrote the post. Should have gone my research
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 07:24 PM

Corporal Punishment is banned in England but the actual act of 'smacking' is not but it is something that is being considered by government.

There are millions of us who have been smacked by our parents and we've grown up to be well adjusted human beings but as always, there is a minority who take it too far and beat the child and as a result, it is the majority who suffer by being told 'sorry, it's against the law to do that now'.

A good example is the situations at many schools, many teachers leaving the profession because their authority has been undermined by government interference. More than ever now teachers are being verbally and physically abused because the children know they have the true power, not the teachers.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
According to the links I posted previously that is a 'grey area' of the law as 'reasonable punishment' has not been defined within the law on smacking children.
Seems a somewhat glaring omission
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 08:04 PM

Create an image in your mind of a mother ( or father ) smacking a small child .

Look at the momentary anger in the parent's face and the hurt and tears and the failure to comprehend in the childs face as he/she tries to twist its body away from the blows.

Then ask yourself if that is ever right
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 09:02 PM

Look at the momentary anger in the parent's face and the hurt and tears and the failure to comprehend in the childs face as he/she tries to twist its body away from the blows.

I appreciate the scenario you have set Moscow, however .....

Look at the defiance on a child's face as he/she refuses to accept that the action he/she is currently taking is putting him/her at risk of injury. What harm a slight smack, followed by a chat and a cuddle when the child has settled down?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Seems a somewhat glaring omission
Yes, like a few of our laws. Just look at the law relating to protecting your home from an intruder when you use violence, or the law on assisted suicide. What is the saying "the law is an ass".
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->

I appreciate the scenario you have set Moscow, however .....

Look at the defiance on a child's face as he/she refuses to accept that the action he/she is currently taking is putting him/her at risk of injury. What harm a slight smack, followed by a chat and a cuddle when the child has settled down?
That scenario played out with one of my cousins not so long ago. My cousin is 5yrs old and is the eldest daughter of 3 (two other girls). At a family gathering her father was relaying the story of what happened. His daughter had been given a packet of sweets by another relative, sweets she knows she is supposed to eat later in the day. Well, midday meal was being prepared, his daughter decides to start eating the sweets, her father catches her and asks her to stop eating the sweets and to put them away as midday meal is nearly ready. Well this time, totally out of character for her, she said no and carried on eating the sweets, her father again said but in a sterner voice to stop eating the sweets, but this time in a very defiant motion, she got one of the sweets, held it out in her hand to show her father then slowly put it in her mouth.

Well this defiance went too far so he went over, gave her a smack on her bottom and explained why he gave her bottom a smack, all the whilst she was crying. After he had finished explaining, she said 'sorry daddy', they hugged and she has not behaved that way since.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 09:57 PM

I imagine we are all old enough to remember corporal punishment in schools. In Scotland it was the tawse or Lochgelly, a three fingered thick leather strap often known as Dr Brown administered to the open palm of the miscreant. Personally I was delighted when it first happened to me as I was now one of the boys. Now it seems you're one of the boys when you punch your teacher.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top