Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 09:09 PM

Toenail

My toenails are dying..they are going to drop off..they look awful

Has this happened to anyone else?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 09:10 PM

Re: Toenail

How d'you mean Pauline?

Have they gone thick and discoloured?
It could be a fungal infection which can be cleared up.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
My toenails are dying..they are going to drop off..they look awful

Has this happened to anyone else?

I think perhaps a visit to a podiatrist is over due, Pauline.
They should be able to advise you.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 09:36 PM

That's happened to me more than once when I've damaged the nail bed. Usually on holiday sightseeing in the wrong shoes. Or yes it can also be a fungal infection. Usually I to cut as much as I can away. Then wait until it eventually grows. If it's a bruised bed it usually hurts at the time and the nail starts to come away weeks later.

If it's a fungal infection then it depends on how bad it is but a friend had to have her nails removed and now they grow back all thick so she needs podiatry visits every few months to file down. Either way a pain.

Try to make a gp online consult where you can show them a video of the nail to see whether it's something more serious. It's important to get it treated if a fungus or to at least get advice if bruised. I've had such fun with bruised nails. But they have grown back beautifully healthy usually after six months. A friend's husband's fungus spread to the soles of the feet and ended up very smelly! You can catch all sorts in the garden but his was posh fungus from the Lake district. Feet are such a joy!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's happened to me more than once when I've damaged the nail bed. Usually on holiday sightseeing in the wrong shoes. Or yes it can also be a fungal infection. Usually I to cut as much as I can away. Then wait until it eventually grows. If it's a bruised bed it usually hurts at the time and the nail starts to come away weeks later.

If it's a fungal infection then it depends on how bad it is but a friend had to have her nails removed and now they grow back all thick so she needs podiatry visits every few months to file down. Either way a pain.

Try to make a gp online consult where you can show them a video of the nail to see whether it's something more serious. It's important to get it treated if a fungus or to at least get advice if bruised. I've had such fun with bruised nails. But they have grown back beautifully healthy usually after six months. A friend's husband's fungus spread to the soles of the feet and ended up very smelly! You can catch all sorts in the garden but his was posh fungus from the Lake district. Feet are such a joy!
Those are mine too, the big toe & second toe both feet. I hate cutting them, they are like horses hoof. I did have a chiropodist, he came to the house, but he retired & I haven't found another.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 11:29 PM

Toe nails always seem to get thumped, banged or bruised in some way don't they.

I've got a cracked big toenail now. Mr M trod on my foot last September ...ouch! It cracked my nail straight across and bled underneath. I expected it to drop off but it never did and the crack has slowly grown up .. and I reckon in another two months or so it will have grown to the top and can be finally cut out.
I have to watch I don't hit it and have made a little sock from plasters to wear like a thimble to protect it .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 11:38 PM

Morti, I expect you know already, but you can get all sorts of toe nail protectors to wear if it's any help?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=toe+nai...l_1p6uqkx3mx_e
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 11:55 PM

I never bothered with protectors (they always seem to dislodge and fall off) just have a lot of ugg type boots and slippers that are great to walk in without hurting the darn thing again. This is why people start wearing sensible shoes. The feet become increasingly delicate over the age of 30. Life starts attacking you from the feet up!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 09:57 AM

Thank you so much everyone for your replies.

I had fungal nail problems for yrs..I treated it,but it never fully went away.

About a month ago,I wore very tight trainers while out jogging...when I took them off my toes felt very bruised,after a while my toenails turned mauve..
They are now turning brittle and are coming away from my toe.
One has already been pulled off by me.
The other two large toenails..I won’t risk pulling off.but am very tempted too.

I am going to take your advice and see the GP....thank you once again everyone.
You are a great bunch of people.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 11:08 AM

I had a fungal nail infection, at the time there was a concern about treatments making things worse, those paint on ones.
I put some Scholl athlete's foot cream on a plaster and left it for a few days, it cleared up. I also used it when I found my finger nails were going white because I kept varnishing them. Left off the varnish for a while and they went back to normal very quickly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top