Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 07:53 AM

Middle age people less healthy than boomers

Are boomers more or less healthy?
Is it just luck ?
I supose the ones that survive are .
I am sure I was much fitter than my grandchildren are now .
My teenage grandson can barely get out of bed before noon .
I did a paper round before going to school .

On the other hand people look better they all seem to have good teeth .

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-suggests.html
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 09:30 AM

Re: Middle age people less healthy than boomers

I have cardiomyopathy. The practical part of that is that I have 30% - 40% at best heart function. I look after myself on all levels so apart from that i think I'm in reasonable shape. I am VERY lucky to have one of the best cardiologists in a city where they grow on trees and also has a great health system. I play my part in keeping OK. So this baby boomer considers himself better off than some people half my age. But in a general sense I could not even begin to answer the question. depends on the individual, what's in your control and what isn't
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 11:02 AM

I blame processed food, takeaways and a sedentary lifestyle. In particular driven by the internet and binge watching. The internet is very useful but it is pretty much an addiction for the young and middle aged (less so for the elderly). It disturbs sleep, leads to a constant state of distraction, reduces concentration.

There's also increased stress in the lives of the young and middle aged. There is an older study somewhere that confirms eating a doughnut when stressed is more likely to lead plaques from saturated fat to stick to the arteries. More recent studies have identified the link between stress hormones and plaque formation.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014...-your-arteries

People have really started to see the effects during lockdown when the process was accelerated. Inactivity has a very ageing effect. Boomers were more active, but my impression is that they were less stressed or stressed in a more positive way - to achieve an outcome. To build, to create, to produce, in a hands on way. The stress of our remote controlled society is a different type of stress that ignores the basic human needs to hunt and gather.

"The machine stops" is an interesting book on this theme.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Are boomers more or less healthy?
Is it just luck ?
I supose the ones that survive are .
I am sure I was much fitter than my grandchildren are now .
My teenage grandson can barely get out of bed before noon .
I did a paper round before going to school .

On the other hand people look better they all seem to have good teeth .

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-suggests.html
When I was a teenager, I couldn't get out of bed before noon at the weekend either
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I blame processed food, takeaways and a sedentary lifestyle. In particular driven by the internet and binge watching. The internet is very useful but it is pretty much an addiction for the young and middle aged (less so for the elderly). It disturbs sleep, leads to a constant state of distraction, reduces concentration.

There's also increased stress in the lives of the young and middle aged. There is an older study somewhere that confirms eating a doughnut when stressed is more likely to lead plaques from saturated fat to stick to the arteries. More recent studies have identified the link between stress hormones and plaque formation.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014...-your-arteries

People have really started to see the effects during lockdown when the process was accelerated. Inactivity has a very ageing effect. Boomers were more active, but my impression is that they were less stressed or stressed in a more positive way - to achieve an outcome. To build, to create, to produce, in a hands on way. The stress of our remote controlled society is a different type of stress that ignores the basic human needs to hunt and gather.

"The machine stops" is an interesting book on this theme.
Excellent post Annie .
I will have to look at that book.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top