Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 08:04 PM

Antibiotic resistance and the meat industry

Not sure which is the best section for this but as it's a major health issue I thought I'd put it here!

Yesterday I received some meat from Ocado. It had a big sign on it that I had not seen before : "raised without antibiotics".

Numerous studies have confirmed that the wide usage of antibiotics in animal rearing is hugely contributing to antibiotic resistance.

Apparently these are used routinely in order to speed up growth of animals & prevent infection in cramped/poor conditions. It's totally motivated by economics but could lead to us going back in time to the era when people could die of a simple infection.

According to this article global use of antibiotics in meat production accounts for 73% of Total global antibiotic use. That's an appalling statistic! Considering the risks and the current pandemic I find it astonishing that this practice is being allowed to continue. The last thing we need on top of nasty new viruses is to be unable to treat deadly infections.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1009132321.htm

it seems that the relationship between humans and animals is not only destroying the environment but is now totally harmful to human health. Nobody seems to be too worried about this because it's sneaking up on us gradually.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 08:10 PM

Re: Antibiotic resistance and the meat industry

A lot of herds are injected with antibiotics and growth hormones - especially when they are intensively farmed. That is why I will never buy meat from supermarkets - only from proper butchers whom I know and can trust.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
A lot of herds are injected with antibiotics and growth hormones - especially when they are intensively farmed. That is why I will never buy meat from supermarkets - only from proper butchers whom I know and can trust.
Hi

Growth Hormones are banned here in the UK.

Antibiotics are strictly controlled.

All meat is slaughtered in the same slaughterhouses.

Every animal is individually traceable.

Buying from a Local Butcher is no guarantee at all.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 11:41 PM

I remember about 30 years ago reading about all this Annie.

I believe Pork was thought the worst affected back then.
And do you remember the Capons? Castrated male chickens - only they were chemically castrated, not surgically. Supposed to make them grow quicker and put on more meat.
I thought the practice became illegal years ago, but apparently it's not!

It is not only meat either. Milk can be affected, though it's not supposed to be sold.
Dairy cows being treated for mastitis would have antibiotics and the milk was supposed to be discarded until the drugs had cleared from their system.

Most wormers have a meat/milk withdrawal time on them too, but I wonder how often that is abused?

And if you want to go even further, even poultry wormers or mite treatments need an egg withdrawal time to adhere to as well.

How many of us are eating meat, eggs, and milk products without knowing?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Growth Hormones are banned here in the UK.
But not in other countries - and a lot of meat is imported - especially within the 'fast food' industry. Remember the horse meat scandal a few years back?

Antibiotics are strictly controlled.
Of course they are - and no-one ever abuses that - do they?

Buying from a Local Butcher is no guarantee at all.
Depends on the integrity of the butcher. I know who I can and cannot believe.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

16-07-2020, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by mups ->
i remember about 30 years ago reading about all this annie.

I believe pork was thought the worst affected back then.
And do you remember the capons? Castrated male chickens - only they were chemically castrated, not surgically. Supposed to make them grow quicker and put on more meat.
I thought the practice became illegal years ago, but apparently it's not!

It is not only meat either. Milk can be affected, though it's not supposed to be sold.
Dairy cows being treated for mastitis would have antibiotics and the milk was supposed to be discarded until the drugs had cleared from their system.

Most wormers have a meat/milk withdrawal time on them too, but i wonder how often that is abused?

And if you want to go even further, even poultry wormers or mite treatments need an egg withdrawal time to adhere to as well.

How many of us are eating meat, eggs, and milk products without knowing?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 08:43 AM

This overuse of antibiotics has been a problem for many years and is one reason why I rarely eat meat (and never chicken) and stick to organic if I do.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

16-07-2020, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
This overuse of antibiotics has been a problem for many years and is one reason why I rarely eat meat (and never chicken) and stick to organic if I do.
Very wise.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 10:13 AM

The best course I don’t eat pork and very little chicken .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 12:37 PM

It isn't just meat, milk, and eggs to be concerned about either.

Unless everyone buys organic, almost every fruit and vegetable has been grown on land which is chemically treated at some point.
Then of course there is the fruit/veg itself which receives yet another dose or two of spray.
Almost all veg and fruit says on it - "Wash before use" for this reason.

Only thing is, with soft fruits like strawberries for example, we don't even peel them, we eat the sprayed skins as well.
With the outsides being so absorbent in these fruits, I personally believe you can wash them as much as you like but the chemical was already absorbed long ago.

If we worry about meat. eggs, milk products, and even fruit & veg, we may as well give up and pop our clogs now and get it over with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top