Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 03:43 PM

Re: Lose 5 lbs to save the NHS.

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The new Government Mantra.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-07-26/...alth-secretary

A complete U Turn by Boris, one for the better perhaps.

Alcohol is one of the biggest contributors, so why only a consultation on putting the calories on that, a very simple thing to do.
Lose 5 lbs to save the NHS? What a load of 0LD B0LL0CKS!! 5lbs can be easily lost by shedding some extra fluid and remember a gallon weighs 10lbs. Now if he has said upwards of 1st, then that will start to make a difference.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 03:55 PM

Well I will start with 5lbs
The only thing is this means approaching the scales which I have avoided since I started lock down in March .
Winty
New Member!
United Kingdom
Winty is male 

27-07-2020, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Darn it you beat me to it.
Our porky PM needs to think about people who live in glass houses .
Aren’t there any mirrors at no 10 ?
And you are spot on.
The governments lose 5lbs programme will motivate very few overweight people and will inevitably fail.
A mirror or better still ,a current photograph..will work.
4 months ago just before our archery club locked down,a colleague took a picture of me to show my technique (or lack of it !) And while not obese, I thought "what a porker"
I am now 1.5 stones lighter , 2 inches smaller in the waist and feel great.
Very few people are overweight because of medical conditions,they are overweight because they eat too much of the wrong stuff.
And just to be a little contentious you might want to consider why , after 20 odd years of supermarkets being full of low fat ,reduced fat;and healthy eating options and the growth in weight loss classes 63% of the UK population are overweight.
Simples ......its because low fat calorie counting regimes do not work for a majority of people. Try low carb eating,lots of veg,full fat milk, butter,everything fresh ,and avoid all processed carbs and refined sugars.
The weight will fall off .
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 06:45 PM

Just a point with losing weight and that is something that's not mentioned very much – portion control. As well as eating all the right foods, preferably those as close to nature as possible, without all the additives in processed foods, I found that eating too much was part of the problem. Also on the NHS pre-diabetes course I went on that was something often mentioned. When I was on that course I cut down on the amount of food on my plate and then noticed I actually felt hungry when it came to meal times when previously I had not. Also snacking between meals is another habit it's so easy to get into, that also piles on the weight without really realising it is happening.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 08:07 PM

Good point about portion sizes Baz, and I also found that after years of having no supper and not even wanting any, I started to have the odd slice of toast. After several weeks of having supper, on the nights I didn't bother I actually missed not having any. Which suggests to me that eating can become habitual, especially at set times each day.

But just cutting down, or altering what you eat to a more healthy diet is not enough to make any substantial change to your shape or weight. Exercise is as important as a healthy diet, if not more so.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Good point about portion sizes Baz, and I also found that after years of having no supper and not even wanting any, I started to have the odd slice of toast. After several weeks of having supper, on the nights I didn't bother I actually missed not having any. Which suggests to me that eating can become habitual, especially at set times each day.

But just cutting down, or altering what you eat to a more healthy diet is not enough to make any substantial change to your shape or weight. Exercise is as important as a healthy diet, if not more so.
Hi

Great Post OGF.

One of my ex staff is obese according to the BMI.

He isn't ,just 17 stone of solid muscle.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Lose 5 lbs to save the NHS? What a load of 0LD B0LL0CKS!! 5lbs can be easily lost by shedding some extra fluid and remember a gallon weighs 10lbs. Now if he has said upwards of 1st, then that will start to make a difference.
At last some sense. No doubt Boris and the boys will be round to put us to bed next.

If they really want to save the NHS there are some other options like stopping illegals coming into the Country, stop the health tourists and invest the money we send to our current enemy, China.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

When I changed my diet and cut down on the portions, plus not having any cakes, crisps or biscuits (my downfall) for two years, I also started just walking for 30 minutes every day. All the small things added up and enabled me to lose 10kgs, bring down my cholesterol levels and avoid Type 2 diabetes.

It's not easy to exercise a lot when you've never done it before, plus a knee injury meant my walking was more of a leisurely stroll. It was enough though to allow my system to work better and that meant sugar in my blood that was converted from food consumed did not build up as it had in the past, it was being used for the energy required to walk. Any exercise requires energy so if that is not used then it can partly cause Type 2 diabetes. Obviously there are two types of diabetes, Type 1 is different and cannot be avoided if you have it. Type 2 sometimes cannot be avoided either but if it can be lessened or avoided by diet and exercise it's worth trying to see if this is possible.

I also feel that lack of knowledge about food is not helpful. Two examples are: that I always considered wholemeal bread was the best for health, it is not as seeded bread is better because of the seeds. I have used vegetable oil in the past but didn't know that this, when made from oilseed rape, is better if it's pressed to obtain the oil rather than obtaining it through a heat process as that sets up a chemical reaction that is not good.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
At last some sense. No doubt Boris and the boys will be round to put us to bed next.

If they really want to save the NHS there are some other options like stopping illegals coming into the Country, stop the health tourists and invest the money we send to our current enemy, China.
Also;
Foreign Aid - HS2 - and get off our arses and build our own nuclear power stations - After all.........We invented them!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

27-07-2020, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Great Post OGF.

One of my ex staff is obese according to the BMI.

He isn't ,just 17 stone of solid muscle.
Thanks Swim, much appreciated...

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top