Join for free
Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 03:05 PM

Re: Huge explosion in Lebanese port

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
That was some blast.....
But I wonder why such large amounts of explosives were stored so close to the city and heavily populated areas......
3000 tons apparently of ammonium nitrate .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
3000 tons apparently of ammonium nitrate .
There probably was Ammonium nitrate there but the explosions shown thus far to me looked as though there was a lot of fast high explosive there, probably more than fertiliser.

In any case ammonium nitrate is an oxidising agent that needs to act with a fuel in order to make a bang

Even then it's a "slow" explosive.

I remember the car bombs that the Fenien filth set off in order to kill and maim British men, women, and children in Ulster usually sounded like a "thump" rather than the sharp very loud crack from the few pure HE bombs the pigs used against the UK.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
There probably was Ammonium nitrate there but the explosions shown thus far to me looked as though there was a lot of fast high explosive there, probably more than fertiliser.

In any case ammonium nitrate is an oxidising agent that needs to act with a fuel in order to make a bang

Even then it's a "slow" explosive.

I remember the car bombs that the Fenien filth set off in order to kill and maim British men, women, and children in Ulster usually sounded like a "thump" rather than the sharp very loud crack from the few pure HE bombs the pigs used against the UK.
This might help... https://www.military.com/daily-news/...explosion.html
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
This might help... https://www.military.com/daily-news/...explosion.html
It still doesn't ring true in my mind. I remain convinced there was a great deal of high explosive involved there. Grain silo dust is a fast burn explosive but low yield. That any wasn't low yield. Ammonium nitrate, slow burn low yield. Fireworks? Maybe a few but what we saw was much more likely to have been small arms stuff. Nah. That big bang was HE.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 05:52 PM

It still doesn't ring true in my mind. I remain convinced there was a great deal of high explosive involved there. Grain silo dust is a fast burn explosive but low yield. That any wasn't low yield. Ammonium nitrate, slow burn low yield. Fireworks? Maybe a few but what we saw was much more likely to have been small arms stuff. Nah. That big bang was HE.

#Lebanese Army Major General Ibrahim “it appears that the explosion occurred in a store of high explosive materials confiscated for years”
Vlad
West Midlands UK

05-08-2020, 06:56 PM

Oklahoma bombing.
And only 2 tons of ammonium nitrate

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	E1D902C9-A22F-4333-8A32-A28701DA725A.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	13458  
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

05-08-2020, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
Oklahoma bombing.
And only 2 tons of ammonium nitrate
Ammonium nitrate EXPLOSIVE.

Without a fuel an oxidising agent isn't much use unless on the garden or turning iron into rust.

It's a bit like (very like) saltpetre in solution. Soak a bit of paper in it, let it dry, and you've got firework fuse paper.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 08:12 PM

Never miss an opportunity to stick it to Israel eh?

Never let facts or common sense get in the way of rabid hatred of Jews.
There's been some extreme left-wing arsehole of journalist accusing Israel about an attack even before any facts emerged.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 08:56 PM

An update. Some port officials under house arrest while investigations are carried out.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-53670839
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 09:10 PM

Making assumptions can make you look foolish. Wiser to have correct information.

Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top