Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 07:32 PM

Re: Would you Repair or buy new?

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
If I can fix it I will. Rather than spending more money by buying new plus hopefully not having the old one being dumped on landfill.

Monday, That is exactly what l was going to say!!
What do they say, about great minds think alike?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 08:18 PM

Make do and mend is my motto

Good for you Colin for fixing and saving from landfill

Thats what stops me from throwing stuff and buying new - landfill

My favourite suitcase, an old Antler, has been on its last wheels for 10 years or more. DH just buys new ones and repairs them. Not only that a friend uses the case more then us so we are getting great value from it
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
There may be something profound to learn from these wheel repair stories but I have not yet learned what
I learned it was cheaper to buy the wheels.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 07:51 AM

Carlton cases are so strong & sturdy.

I've got a set of their hard ones and if ever the wheels broke I would definitely have them repaired.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I am even more irritated sometimes when he says "you don't need to buy one - I'll make you one" Our house is full of "I'll make you ones"
That sounds even worse

"Coffee machine you don't need to buy one! I will make one" * scuttles off to garage *

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Make do and mend is my motto

Good for you Colin for fixing and saving from landfill

Thats what stops me from throwing stuff and buying new - landfill

My favourite suitcase, an old Antler, has been on its last wheels for 10 years or more. DH just buys new ones and repairs them. Not only that a friend uses the case more then us so we are getting great value from it
Me or the Case

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I learned it was cheaper to buy the wheels.
That's it! that is the profound message! I saved some dosh
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
Thrashed with branches twice yesterday some people would pay good money for that
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 09:25 AM

I am also one of the fix it mob. I have found many times that there is a way to be able to repair most things. I do know that some times it could be cheaper to buy new. As the spare parts can be more expensive. But they don’t make some things as reliable as what they did in the past.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
Do you ever repair things or are you more likely to bin it and go buy a new one?
Reason I ask is my trusty old Carlton airtech hard shell case wheels bit the dust when I was on holiday in April, instead of happily pulling along 23kg of suitcase on nice spinning wheels, I ended up dragging 23kg of case and luggage through the packed Sydney streets to the hotel.
I had almost exactly the same problem a few years ago but I too repaired it because it was an ideal suitcase for me (an Australian Paklite 55cm). The problem was that the old wheels were riveted in so I had to drill them out and use rollerblade axles but they work like a charm now.

23Kg?? Where on earth were you going? My suitcase is usually 9 to 13kg the higher figure when it is topped up with jars of Vegemite as presents. I am not sure I could even lift 23kg now but for a month's overseas holiday my suitcase is usually about 10kg.

Anyway, as for generally repairing or replacing it depends if it is worth replacing, there are few electrical goods that are worth repairing, usually much cheaper to replace. There are exceptions and as an ex technician I can usually repair most electronic gear but rarely do because replacements are so cheap and generally better faster etc.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	150305 007 Case Broken Wheel.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	6131   Click image for larger version

Name:	150411 003 Suitcase Wheel  Repair.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	6132  
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
But they don’t make some things as reliable as what they did in the past.
We all say that when something breaks.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 12:41 PM

I know Mr R would try a repair, however it would all be to no avail and would prob end in a row always best for me to buy new.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top