Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 02:28 PM

Re: Tell The Truth...Do You Dodge Charity Collectors In The Supermarkets?

It is difficult to avoid them as they are on every corner and fronting stores as well
They used to be moved on by the Police like Hawkers were.

Most people who can afford it give to their favourite Charity
I contribute to two by D/D, but frequently get request to increase my contribution as well.

Charities pay huge sums to Call Centres to target people, and to day in' Mail On Sunday' there is a two-page spread about the underhanded tricks one Company M & R Marketing Liverpool, get up to to squeeze money out of poor people who can ill afford it

M & R Marketing are now in liquidation.

This was meant to go in To tell The Truth'
Can it be moved please?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 02:52 PM

It depends who the big issue seller is I know a couple of them who are genuinely in need (mental health problems mean they will never be got to work) so I help them, others I don't as I am getting a bit wiser to who they really are.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by graculus ->
It's the chuggers in the street I avoid.

Too right, graculus. Does anyone ever ask for any credentials before they put their hand in their pocket? NO.

I do not like tins rattled under my nose when I am out. I will give to who I want, when I want, and object to feeling obliged to.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 03:00 PM

Tend to support local Charity collectors, especially the ones for homelessness.

Also give to Marie Curie, Macmillan nurses, and Leukemia charities, as all these have touched my life personally.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
It is difficult to avoid them as they are on every corner and fronting stores as well
They used to be moved on by the Police like Hawkers were.

Most people who can afford it give to their favourite Charity
I contribute to two by D/D, but frequently get request to increase my contribution as well.

I would never give them my bank details.

My friend pays an animal charity D/D and they are forever on the phone trying to make her increase her donations. Bloomin' cheek!
Why can't they just be grateful that people offer a regular payment?
She has now told them if they keep on pestering her she will stop the D/D altogether. They are both foolish, and greedy to upset regular givers in this way IMO.

They'd do better to cut the Executives wages and put half of that money in their collection tins - then keep asking them for a bit more.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
I give to charities in other ways. At the moment i've given about £300 in quality goods as i'm moving house and i'm still bagging stuff up for them so i think it's better than a few pence in a box... Also a few years back i gave about 20 bags of clothing..
I think that should keep the shops open for a while longer and the poorer people to buy cheaper things, and let the charity earn a few bob thats my view...
Yes, this I agree with, and have done in the past. Local shops and a hospice did very well out of Mum's death, as my siblings took many car loads of her stuff to them.

I have also given some of my own unwanted items to local charity shops, as I feel that more people benefit then.

I usually ignore the buckets, I have to admit, but may have popped in the odd £1 coin.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hanfonius ->
Usually, I will side-step for those collectors outside of a supermarket.
I would stop for the Sally Army, boy scouts or girl guides.

Living in a small village, the one thing I absolutely detest are the envelopes pushed through my letter box saying somebody will come back for my contribution. A couple of years ago, the lady actually told me that I had given three pounds the previous year. How did she know unless she had marked my envelope, and checked it out when she had gone home? ....and then recorded it!

I never donate to a collector in a shopping mall.
That is appalling IMO about the envelope collector Hanifonius.
I only donate to certain charities of my choice TBH.
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 03:40 PM

I always give to the Salvation Army when I see a collector. As for the others, I don't dodge charity collectors, I tell them the truth, that I support my chosen charities via direct debit.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-01-2016, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
That is appalling IMO about the envelope collector Hanifonius.
I only donate to certain charities of my choice TBH.

I get the Sally Army, Air Ambulance, British Heart Foundation and NSPCC encelopes come through my door.

The Sally Army has got a very pleasant cafe/restaurant down in the town, next to their charity shop. I often meet friends there for lunch.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 03:58 PM

I have my selected charities . Others who dare rattle tins at me get treated to my most steely drop dead look.. Its enough to deter all but the most determined and they get a firm No thankyou.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top