Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 04:19 PM

Re: Tell The Truth...Do You Dodge Charity Collectors In The Supermarkets?

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I would never give them my bank details.

My friend pays an animal charity D/D and they are forever on the phone trying to make her increase her donations. Bloomin' cheek!
Why can't they just be grateful that people offer a regular payment?
She has now told them if they keep on pestering her she will stop the D/D altogether. They are both foolish, and greedy to upset regular givers in this way IMO.

They'd do better to cut the Executives wages and put half of that money in their collection tins - then keep asking them for a bit more.
Save the Children wrote to me before Christmas asking me to increase my giving. I rang and they thanked me for fifteen years of contributions and were very nice when I said I wouldn't be increasing it, but neither would I be stopping it.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 04:44 PM

I just smile and walk past them,you can never be sure how genuine they are,often they are collecting for some charity Ive never heard of,I prefer to send donations to the registered ones I know about.Same goes with house to house collection ,I dont give to then either
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 05:21 PM

Usually I look the other way, but at Christmas I decided goodwill to all men etc etc.
As I turned to look into my bag to search for change, my wire basket caught the button on his coat and we both fell through the sliding doors. Luckily we both laughed and I said that was very loose change wasnt it:
He was a bit of all right too. I literally floated round the aisles after that.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 05:27 PM

Always donate if it is Poppy Day, Help for Heroes or British Legion as ex services myself.
However, any of the larger charities that advertise on television is a definite NO from me. I truly believe that they have a nerve asking for a certain amount from people. Donations should be what people feel they can afford to give not what it should be. Also the disgraceful going-on's with these bullying call-centres made it easier for me to completely ignore them from now on.
Besides, a great deal of the public's generous donation money for these huge charities seems to be spent on advertising, posh London offices, company cars and mega salaries. Certainly not what the money was intended for as far as I am concerned, regardless of their pathetic excuses of having to pay mega salaries to ensure they employ the best. Grrr!
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 05:46 PM

Yes, Poppy day is a must. We have so much to be thankful for.
When my husband acted as executor of an uncle's will we were going through his papers and found he was giving money by direct debit to around 20 charities. We had no idea. Of course, it was his choice, he was a compassionate Christian but the extent of his giving amazed us.
tina
Lincolnshire
tina is female  tina has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye ->
I will give to any of the Services charities especially if it is an obvious veteran doing the collecting. All the others I look in the eye and give a firm "no thank you" to. A guy jumped right in front of me for some Dogs charity the other day in Morrison's and I was peeved with being accosted in this manner I said out loud " certainly not ,I prefer Cats. "
I agree with Hawkeye. any of the services especially the poppy appeal. I always donate any items or goods to the sense charity when the have sold your goods they always write and tell you how much your goods raised.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 09:28 PM

Certainly not, apart from Poppy Day or some other veteran's charity. Would never give to the likes of RSPCA or other animal charity playing the pity card. My main donations go to supporting the local hospice and the Forget-Me-Not trust children's hospice usually in the form of sponsorship.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2016, 11:54 AM

I knew a charity tin shaker and she was getting paid to do it. They aren't all volunteers you know!
It does make one wonder how much gets to the charity when others have had their cut!
Questor
Kent, UK
Questor is female  Questor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2016, 09:32 PM

I do sometimes look the other way but not before I've peeked at which charity is doing the collecting. Having been behind the scenes of a major charity, I am rather selective as to where to put my pennies and do my best to donate where it will do most good. Poppies, Sally Army, Help for Heroes and Cancer Research are among those I currently support in various ways. Often I've never heard of the charities given space in the supermarkets.

As to Chuggers, I have to say they seem to ignore me and my husband so we sail straight past them. The age of invisibility does have some advantages.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2016, 09:48 PM

Poppy Day is the only thing I donate cash to.

It always seemed apparent to me that most of the money donated to charity is wasted and goes to admin.
Donating clothes, books etc. is quite different in my eyes and I do that gladly, so when faced with a person wielding a collection tin, I shake my head and say no .... thank you

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top