Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2016, 10:36 AM

Re: Thrifty

I think we could all live on a lot less than we do ,to me the enjoyment is in succeeding and seeking out of these offers and bargains ...and yes I do believe that having very little money gives you freedom from worry..I have very little worry in life over money,its quite simple . If you dont have it then you just have to be "creative" in how you spend what little you do have,and have some priorities.
Art you said she deprives herself of nice things ...well I think the "treats" she allows herself are probably enough enjoyment for her ...even simple small things can bring a lot of enjoyment to some.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2016, 10:40 AM

Is it any wonder her burger business failed. I bet she was really mean with the portions or sold them cheapjack food!
Can you imagine snuggling down in the evening in your nice comfy chair, looking forward to watching your favourite soap and then remember you have to trek down to the supermarket to grab some yellow labels! When you get there you have to battle with the all other snatching, grasping hands all crowded round the reduced food!
Take your own teabags when you visit? What a tightwad, I bet she doesn't get many visitors! I wonder how many times she re-uses her teabags?
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2016, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Is it any wonder her burger business failed. I bet she was really mean with the portions or sold them cheapjack food!
Can you imagine snuggling down in the evening in your nice comfy chair, looking forward to watching your favourite soap and then remember you have to trek down to the supermarket to grab some yellow labels! When you get there you have to battle with the all other snatching, grasping hands all crowded round the reduced food!
Take your own teabags when you visit? What a tightwad, I bet she doesn't get many visitors! I wonder how many times she re-uses her teabags?
Thats a bit on the mean side isnt it lol ....she does take some things to the extreme
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2016, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I think we could all live on a lot less than we do ,to me the enjoyment is in succeeding and seeking out of these offers and bargains ...and yes I do believe that having very little money gives you freedom from worry..I have very little worry in life over money,its quite simple . If you dont have it then you just have to be "creative" in how you spend what little you do have,and have some priorities.
Art you said she deprives herself of nice things ...well I think the "treats" she allows herself are probably enough enjoyment for her ...even simple small things can bring a lot of enjoyment to some.
Aysa, I admit years ago, when I was married with young children and we were struggling paying the mortgage etc that I used to brag how far I could make 1/2lb of minced beef or a roast chicken go! I think of it now and I feel awful and I'm filled with remorse that my family may have had smaller portions because I was penny pinching!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

26-01-2016, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Aysa, I admit years ago, when I was married with young children and we were struggling paying the mortgage etc that I used to brag how far I could make 1/2lb of minced beef or a roast chicken go! I think of it now and I feel awful and I'm filled with remorse that my family may have had smaller portions because I was penny pinching!
But its not penny pinching if your skint in the first place ,thats what im trying to say I dont scrimp on certain things but I do have priorities for the simple fact that I dont have a lot of spare cash
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2016, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
But its not penny pinching if your skint in the first place ,thats what im trying to say I dont scrimp on certain things but I do have priorities for the simple fact that I dont have a lot of spare cash
I agree, ive had to change my ways a lot due to circumstances, and ive learned to live off a lot less, and could do even more if needed. She may be a bit eccentric but she is not hurting anyone and so best of luck to her.
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2016, 11:44 AM

I don't like waste, especially food waste, and I am thrifty but life is short and treats help it be more pleasant. I have changed my way of shopping lately by buying at local shops, especially the butcher, and cutting out big supermarket shops. Food at local shops is sometimes more expensive but I only buy what I need and don't have cupboards full of 'bargains ' that remain there for months. An interesting article : good for her if that is how she chooses to live. Maybe we can learn from her thrifty ways. There is far too much waste.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2016, 01:49 PM

Hi

My ex MIL is in her 80's, she has a farm and is absolutely loaded.

She grows her own veg, still has a black and white TV, uses logs from the farm for fuel, turns all the lights off every night at 9pm when she goes to bed and refused point blank to use the electric clock radio I brought her as the electric would cost too much..

The immersion heater is a no no, she boils a kettle in the morning, puts the water in a flask to save electric on boiling it again.

She saves £60 a week from her pension for her old age.

She is however very happy with her way of life.

Her daughter, my ex, can spend money as quick as she gets it, she is permanently broke.

Probably a reaction to her mother.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2016, 02:10 PM

Not for me, but then I'm not of retirement age, but I don't see me changing that dramatically.

I like my food too much for that.

I suppose if funds won't allow then there's no other option but, until then it's eat, eat eat.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

26-01-2016, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

My ex MIL is in her 80's, she has a farm and is absolutely loaded.

She grows her own veg, still has a black and white TV, uses logs from the farm for fuel, turns all the lights off every night at 9pm when she goes to bed and refused point blank to use the electric clock radio I brought her as the electric would cost too much..

The immersion heater is a no no, she boils a kettle in the morning, puts the water in a flask to save electric on boiling it again.

She saves £60 a week from her pension for her old age.

She is however very happy with her way of life.

Her daughter, my ex, can spend money as quick as she gets it, she is permanently broke.

Probably a reaction to her mother.
This is the main thing ,what a world it would be if we all HAD to live the same way as everyone else....we all have different priorities and different things that we enjoy to make our lives better for US no one else.
I just dont see that life should always come down to money an what you can get...that way to me is greed and theres also too much of a good thing not being good for us...just my personal feelings ofc.. I still like some of the original ladys ways

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top