Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2012, 09:04 AM

Living with Parkinson's disease

I have Parkinson’s.
That’s why I have come to a standstill on the pavement.
I’m not drunk or in the advancing stages of Alzheimer’s.
I’m not lost.
I want to shout this to the people avoiding me as I struggle to start walking again.
Did I mention, not drunk?
I’m a bit tipsy occasionally if I have more than one pint of Tetley’s bitter.
I probably shouldn’t have any alcohol on my present regime.
What the heck, a wee dram helps me relax and improves my speech no end.

When folks first started crossing the road to avoid me, I quickly decided to use a stick.
It doesn’t actually do a lot for me, but it sends out signals to other people that there is something wrong with me. Not to worry though this man is not a threat.

Meet me on a good day, chums, and you’ll find me good company. Meet me on a bad day, and if my blank face doesn’t put you off, you’ll find me an attentive and constructive listener.
I have a good sense of humor, some say over developed sense of humor.
Funny things happen to me, for example
Coming out of my club one evening two gentlemen, inebriated but kindly in spirit took one of my arms each and briskly walked me across the road.
“There you go mate” they chirped, staggering onward themselves into the night
After thanking them profusely and waiting for a suitable distance to grow between us the road had to be recrossed to allow my homeward journey, in the opposite direction to continue.
They were so pleased to help me it would have been churlish to have taken any other course of action.

Missing the bus by being slow resulted in a dear lady of advancing years being my champion one wet morning in Shirley High Street. This gallant lady sat with me to hale the next bus .Even more gallantly, she held back the people who had begun to push in front of me in the queue.
“Let this poor man through!” she chided the crowd...
My warm feelings wavered at this remark,
“God bless you!” She added for good measure as she put me in a seat at the front of the bus.
The passenger s glared and she glared back, with eyes that swiftly turned from warm puppy brown to bulging boiled sweets.
Made her day, mine too.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2012, 09:44 AM

Re: Living with Parkinson's disease

A good friend of mine has the ailment too Robert but he still comes out on 5 mile walks with us, his old workmates, every month. Lets hope they soon find a cure for this nasty condition.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2012, 11:21 AM

my friend Tim had this condition with Louie Body but he was treated for depression for 6mnths before it was diagnosed. People thought he was either drunk or mentally retarded.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2012, 11:58 AM

Robert I don't personally know anyone with Parkinsons, it must be a dreadful thing to live with .
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2012, 12:07 PM

My neighbour had it for many years but it affected him differently, his hands shook, but he'd had an op on his brain in the 60s. Tim sometimes would look as though he were hurrying but he couldn't stop himself. It's a terrible illness cos people can't see it. He used to be a carpet itter and his work partner also had it, don't know if it was coincidence or chemicals
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2012, 12:45 PM

Parkinson's affects people differently and can cause slowness of movement, shaking, involuntary movements, stiffness & pain, often accompanied by depression.
It is chronic and the cause is not known, but is characterised by a failure of the brain to produce sufficient amounts of Dopamine which is a chemical messenger controlling movement.
Interestingly, this same chemical is over produced in Tourete's Syndrome.

The Parkinsons Society is well supported & funded by the public , giving us our best hope for a cure. At the moment the medication centres around controlling the symptoms.

Thank you for your interest folks.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2012, 04:30 PM

My mother had Parkinsons for many years but she coped well. Towards the end, she went a bit funny - imagining she was back in her old home in Glasgow (where she hadn't lived in 60 years). I don't know if the two conditions were related - she was in her 80's after all.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2012, 04:50 PM

I'm sorry to hear or your ailment Robert. the fact that you can laugh about it is a credit to you and I hope you never lose your great sense of humour. I don't know anyone with Parkinson's so I would be ignorant of the symptoms if I came across a sufferer outdoors, and I'm ashamed to say I too would probably assume the person was drunk or drugged if I didn't personally know them, but there you go, at least I'm being honest.
Had to laugh about leaving you on the wrong side of the road.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2012, 06:13 PM

What a kind man not saying you didnt want to cross the road,these medical conditions that you cant see are a damned nuicance( so is forgetting how to spell!)I have Epilepsy and have been thought of as being drunk, my saviours when out shopping were Marks & Spencers, they are brilliant if you feel unwell.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2012, 02:02 PM

Good thread. My balance is affected by my Multiple Sclerosis, some days more than others. I've been aware of 'looks' from some folks when my gait is off or I almost stumble. A kind soul caught me in mid-fall on the bus this past summer. Been practicing with a cane and think maybe it's time to use it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top