Join for free
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2012, 10:29 PM

Thyroid treatments

777 on the subject of Iodine have you any knowledge of it for thyroid probs. A friend of mine is adament this will help my underactive thyroid much better than the medication the docs prescribe. He's a great believer in holistic remedies.
inthemoment777
United Kingdom
inthemoment777 is male  inthemoment777 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2012, 02:50 AM

Re: Thyroid treatments

Hi Hazel,
Nice to meet you.

I agree whole hsrdily with your friend about holistic mediicine. Yes iodine is thyroid food especially food that contains seaweed rich in iodine, like nori rolls. You can also buy iodine drops, but first find out about it ad too much could be detramental to your thyroid.

I am not at my computer (on mobile) I will respond better to you from my computer tomorrow. I too have........or had a low active thyroid and felt most unwell following my doctors advice. I have been researching this subject for fiver years and have found solutions, people need not suffer fatigue and tirdess from having a low active thyroid ant take medi ation for the feast of their life!

There are cures and treatments to make you feel well again, I wil give you links and info tomorrow which includes doctors and experts on thyroid disease that I had never new existed before.

Speak to you soon.

Kind regards
H.
inthemoment777
United Kingdom
inthemoment777 is male  inthemoment777 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2012, 01:33 PM

Hi Hazel,

What a beautiful day!

Could I first check with you that it is ok to send you links and information on alternative thyroid treatments? (I have a lot of info!).

Two or three people on this site are accusing me of being condescending and arrogant, I sincerely do not wish to offend anyone, I do not know your personal situation or what you know already about thyroid disease.

I am no doctor, only a simple guy who spends a lot of his time researching alternative health approaches.

If some one on this open forum asks an open question inviting answers, or talks about a heath problem I want to draw attention to other treatments that I feel work, I don't know what they know already.

I do know now which people I should not approach though!

I just believe that almost everything is curable. Unfortunately Western medicine mostly treats the symptoms rather than the cause of disease. I do not wish to see people suffering needlessness.

I await your response.

Kind regards

H.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2012, 01:55 PM

Oh yes it's fine I invited the answer, cos my friend Mike is into alternative medicine and is always telling me what I should take instead of what I do take, unfortuately he knows very little about Iodine but both I and another friend have underactive thyroids, and it was actually her that had read it was good for this prob. I also have Atrial Fibrillation,Ischemic heart disease, COPD, high blood pressure and cholesterol, glaucoma and a suffered an Ischemic stroke in my left eye. In case you think this is a joke it most certainly isn't there are 20 items on my repeat prescription, not including the antibiotics and steroids I have in the house in case of chest infection. Thouht I should mention this in case it made a difference.
inthemoment777
United Kingdom

27-10-2012, 03:34 PM

Hi Hazel,

My sympathy goes out to you having to deal with so many health issues at once. While I am gathering info to send to you about thyroid treatments here is some info on iodine in relation to the thyroid.

Benefits of Iodine By: Dr. George Obikoya

Iodine affects the human body in many ways. It is known to be essential in maintaining the function of the thyroid and parathyroid glands in the human body. It is also essential to the production of thyroxine, a hormone associated with the thyroid gland and proper thyroid functioning.

Iodine also promotes general growth and development within the body as well as aiding in metabolism. Iodine, because of it’s role in the metabolism also helps to burn off excess fat.

Even though it is so important for proper functioning of the human organism, iodine deficiency is relatively common. Severe iodine deficiency often occurs in individuals who have thyroid disease and are hyperthyroid (an over active thyroid), or those who have a goiter from thyroid malfunction. Symptoms of iodine deficiency may include extreme fatigue, slowing of both physical and mental processes, weight gain, facial puffiness, constipation and lethargy.

Babies born to iodine deficient mothers may be lethargic and difficult to feed. If they are left untreated it is likely that they will develop cretinism and poor overall growth and mental retardation.

Recommended intakes of iodine widely vary, but the common agreement among professionals seems to be between 40 micrograms to 150 milligrams daily, which is usually obtained from dietary sources. Several international groups have made recommendations, which are fairly similar. ICCIDD, WHO, and UNICEF recommend the following daily amounts: age 0-7 years, 90 micrograms (mcg); age 7-12 years, 120 mcg; older than 12 years, 150 mcg; and pregnant and lactating women, 200 mcg.

Of course, before starting any form of supplementation you should consult your health care practitioner.
The most damaging effects of iodine deficiency are seen on fetal and infant development. Maternal iodine deficiency causes miscarriages, other pregnancy complications, and infertility. Thyroid hormones, and therefore iodine, are essential for normal development of the brain. If the fetus or newborn is not exposed to enough thyroid hormone, it may have permanent mental retardation, even if it survives.

The most visible consequence of iodine deficiency is goiter. This word means "an enlarged thyroid." The process begins as an adaptation in which the thyroid is more active in its attempts to make enough thyroid hormone for the body's needs, despite the limited supply of raw material (iodine), much as a muscle gets bigger when it has to do more work.
If this adaptation is successful and the iodine deficiency is not too severe, the person may escape with only an enlarged thyroid and no other apparent damage from the iodine deficiency. Older individuals with goiters may develop nodules (lumps) in their thyroids, and sometimes these can begin making too much thyroid hormone when suddenly exposed to iodine.

This result occurs because these nodules are independent of usual controls; they make thyroid hormone at their own rate, and may over-produce it when given more iodine. Also, the nodular goiters in iodine deficiency have an increased rate of one type of thyroid cancer, called "follicular cancer." Goiters can sometimes enlarge enough to produce compression of other neck structures and may need surgical removal for that reason.

Most people who have previously been iodine sufficient can safely tolerate fairly large amounts. As mentioned above, some individuals have thyroid nodules that escape the body's usual controls, and they can start making too much thyroid hormone when their dietary iodine increases, to produce a condition called iodine-induced hyperthyroidism. Iodine excess can also cause thyroid underactivity, because large amounts of iodine block the thyroid's ability to make hormones. Individuals vary widely in their tolerance to iodine. Most people can handle large amounts satisfactorily, but there are exceptions. People with a tendency towards so-called autoimmune thyroid diseases, such as Graves' disease or Hashimoto's thyroiditis, or who have family members with these problems, may be more sensitive to iodine.

Most people can tolerate at least 1 mg (1000 mcg) of iodine daily without adverse effects. People with underlying autoimmune thyroid disease or who have previously been iodine deficient may tolerate less iodine. Iodine excess is undesirable, but its consequences are not nearly so severe as those of iodine deficiency, because the latter affects human development and can produce permanent brain damage. Properly iodized salt will rarely add more than about 300 mcg iodine daily to the diet. Therefore, concern about iodine excess is not a reason to stop or avoid consumption of iodized salt.

Hope you found it interesting
inthemoment777
United Kingdom

27-10-2012, 03:39 PM

Hi Hazel,

Selenium is just as important as iodine for proper function of the thyroid.

Here is a miss mach of info on selenium in relation to the thyroid. (Part 1)

Its anti-oxidant functions have now been shown to reduce the risk of many cancers as well as thyroid disease, infertility and arthritis. There is even a suggestion that selenium alters genes that cause cancer.

In 2003 a French study investigated the size of the thyroid gland compared to selenium consumption. Those with lower selenium levels in the blood had a larger thyroid, which can be a sign of goiter or thyroid disease. Researchers concluded that selenium may protect against both goiter and thyroid disease. An article in the medical journal Lancet (July 15, 2000) also commented on the importance of selenium to thyroid health, as well as fertility problems and heart disease.
Selenium—An essential trace mineral found in fruits and vegetables, selenium helps the body produce functional glutathione peroxidase, an enzyme essential for detoxification. Low dietary levels of selenium have been correlated with a higher incidence of cancer; accordingly, supplementation of this nutrient acts as a deterrent against cancer in general.
Alternative Medicine by Burton Goldberg, page 591
The Garlic Connection. It has long been noted that people who ate garlic, onion, broccoli, and whole grains had a reduced risk of cancer. It turns out that all of these foods are rich in selenium, in fact, selenium is one of the reasons that these particular foods are so healthful for us.
Antioxidants Against Cancer by Ralph Moss PhD, page 77

You need just three Brazil nuts to get the 200 micro-grams of selenium that studies have shown to have a potent anti-cancer effect. As a bonus, when you eat Brazil nuts, which grow best in the Amazon rain forest, you support the conservation of one of my favorite places on earth. So you're not only protecting your body, you're saving the environment.
Anti-Aging Prescriptions by James Duke PhD, page 90

Selenium levels show a U-shaped correlation with prostate cancer. In other words, both low and high blood levels of selenium increase risk. This simply means that we need enough selenium to maintain good health, yet too much can be dangerous. A practical compromise is to use a supplement that provides 100 I.U. of vitamin E (up to 400 I.U. would be fine), and about 50 micrograms of selenium.
20 Natural Ways To Reduce The Risk Of Prostate Cancer By James Scala PHD, page 60
Selenium is needed to produce glutathione peroxidase, an antioxidant enzyme that protects the body from free radical damage. It is also important in preventing cancer and cardiomegaly an enlargement of the heart that causes premature aging and early death.
Complete Encyclopedia Of Natural Healing by Gary Null PhD, page 11
Glutathione peroxidase destroys hydroperoxides and lipoperoxides, thereby protecting the constituents of the cells against free radical damage
Diet Nutrition Cancer by National Research Council, page 168

Selenium activates an enzyme in the body called gluthathione peroxidase that protects against the formation of free radicals—those loose molecular cannons that can damage DNA.

Another reason it seems to be difficult for Americans to get enough selenium is the processing many of our foods go through before they make it onto grocery store shelves. Mindell points out, for example, that processing wheat into white flour strips it of a great deal of its selenium. One way to get more selenium in your diet might be to eat more organically grown foods, which some studies have shown to contain more selenium as well as higher levels of beta carotene and vitamin E. These two work together with selenium in cancer prevention, according to Alternative Medicine author Burton Goldberg.
Perhaps a more surefire way to boost your selenium intake is to add supplements to your diet. Mindell advocates the use of supplements, saying, "To me, taking selenium supplements, in addition to eating selenium-rich foods, is good insurance against disease." However, for those who oppose taking pills, Dr. Andrew Weil in Ask Dr. Weil says eating just one shelled Brazil nut -- grown in the selenium-rich soil of central Brazil -- provides 120 micrograms of the mineral, getting you that much closer to the daily target of 200 micrograms.
some good dietary sources of selenium: Mushrooms, egg yolks, seafood, poultry and kidney, liver and muscle meats contain the mineral. Vegetables -- garlic, onions, broccoli, asparagus, tomatoes and others -- as well as whole grains and seeds can also be good sources of selenium.
However, because the amount of selenium in vegetables and grains depends on the selenium content in the soil in which they are grown, it can be hard for average consumers to know how much of the mineral they are actually getting in their diets. "The selenium content of food is largely dependent on the content of volcanic ash in the soil on which the food was grown, with higher volcanic ash content yielding higher selenium levels. Soil that is irrigated by seawater, such as much of California's cropland, also contains higher levels of selenium," says Sue Gebo in What's Left to Eat. Gebo adds that, in general, soil in the western United States is richer in selenium than soil in the eastern part of the country.
Selenium can be found in many of today's foods such as brazil nuts, poultry, seafood, and meats, brewer’s yeast, broccoli, garlic, kelp, molasses, onions, and various herbs are good plant sources of selenium. Oats and brown rice can also provide significant amounts, but this will depend on the selenium content of the soil in which they have been grown. Much of today’s soil has a depleted Selenium content due to over production in farming.

You can also get a selenium supplement. The recommended daily allowance is 70mcg for men and 55mcg for women. But in order to produce major benefits an amount of up to 600mcg can be taken.

Selenium deficiency used to be rare, but it is more common today due to poor diets and the over farming of soil. If you were to be deficient, symptoms would include muscular weakness and fatigue. Too much selenium on the other hand is possible. If you are taking a selenium supplement you should remember not to exceed 600mcg per day. Overdosing on selenium or selenium poisoning can cause depression, nausea and vomiting, nervousness and loss of hair and fingernails along with a breath odour.
Selenium may be useful in preventing cataracts and macular degeneration, the leading causes of impaired vision or blindness in older Americans. It is also vital for converting thyroid hormone, which is needed for the proper functioning of every cell in the body, from a less active form (called T4) to its active form (known as T3). In addition, selenium is essential for a healthy immune system, assisting the body in defending itself against harmful bacteria and viruses, as well as cancer cells. Its immune-boosting effects may play a role in fighting the herpes virus that is responsible for cold sores and shingles, and it is also being studied for possible effectiveness against HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

When combined with vitamin E, selenium appears to have some anti-inflammatory benefits as well. These two nutrients may improve chronic conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, lupus, and eczema.

A study at the University of Arizona in Tucson in 1996 found that people who took 200 mcg of selenium a day for four and a half years reduced their risk of cancer by 32 percent and their risk of death from cancer by 50 percent. It seems, though, that someone’s genes may determine whether or not selenium supplements may reduce the risk of breast cancer

The average person gets about 65 micrograms of Selenium per day. 200 micrograms is considered the optimal amount while 400 micrograms is the maximum allowable daily dose. Note that too much Selenium is highly toxic to the body.

* Symptoms of too little Selenium: Cancer, heart disease, fatigue, stunted growth, high cholesterol, compromised immune system function, liver impairment, pancreatic insufficiency and sterility.

* Symptoms of too much Selenium: Arthritis, brittle nails, bad breath, hair loss, irritability, liver and kidney problems, tooth loss, jaundice.
inthemoment777
United Kingdom

27-10-2012, 03:40 PM

Hi Hazel,

Selenium part 2

Foods high in Selenium

* Brazil Nuts (dried, unblanched) - Brazil nuts are the only truly concentrated, natural source of Selenium, and may contain so much Selenium that one shouldn't consume too many! However different sources can vary based on the soil they are grown on. Brazil nuts can contain as much as 550 micrograms per ounce, an amount large enough to be toxic.

* Tuna (light, canned in oil) - a 3 ounce serving of Tuna contains nearly 100% the RDA of Selenium (about 63 while 65 micrograms is the RDA). Note that most cans contain dangerous BPA (Bisphonol-A, a hormone disruptor) in the liners and only two companies are known to not use this in their canned tuna. Meanwhile, higher quality tuna has as little as .08 ppm of Mercury per serving versus .38 ppm in lower quality sources.

Other foods that may contain Selenium in lesser amounts include kelp, molasses, whole wheat, turkey, chicken and beef.

Selenium was first used in conventional medicine as a treatment for dandruff, but our understanding of the mineral has come a long way since then. Today, research shows selenium, especially when used in conjunction with vitamin C, vitamin E and beta-carotene, works to block chemical reactions that create free radicals in the body (which can damage DNA and cause degenerative change in cells, leading to cancer).
Selenium also helps stop damaged DNA molecules from reproducing. In other words, selenium acts to prevent tumors from developing. "It contributes towards the death of cancerous and pre-cancer cells. Their death appears to occur before they replicate, thus helping stop cancer before it gets started," says Dr. James Howenstine in A Physician's Guide to Natural Health Products That Work.
inthemoment777
United Kingdom

27-10-2012, 04:25 PM

Hi Hazel,

On discovering that I had a low active thyroid my doctor told me that I would have to take synthetic medication for the rest of my life! I was put on Thyroxine for about a year and did not feel well on it I had absolutely no energy and my weight ballooned. I felt I could not go on like this and thought there must be a better way and started doing my own research out of despair, I promised myself that I would not stop until I found an alternative treatments.
I like many others now believe that most doctors in the UK do not know how to treat thyroid disease. They only appear to treat thyroid disorder with Thyroxine which is a synthetic CHEMICAL and I feel should not be in our body’s. Thyroxine has many side effects, many don’t feel well on thyroxin and experience weight gain, extreme fatigue, frequent bowel movements, puffy eyes and dry skin, loss of hair, susceptible to cold temperatures, in the long term it leads to osteoporosis. Although it does seem to work for some, but I suspect it is not giving the body enough of the correct hormones.
As you don’t know me, don’t take my word for your health but please visit this great patient advocacy site for people looking for answers on thyroid disease. http://www.tpa-uk.org.uk/ it is run by Sheila Turner (expert on thyroid disease). There are hundreds of other people who visit this site too.
There are a few natural treatments you can take instead of thyroxine. My saving grace was finding ‘Armour Thyroid’ it is made from pigs glands. Before starting Armour Thyroid I spoke with one of the top doctors on thyroid disease in the UK Dr Toft. He strongly advised me against taking it even though he didn’t know about it! I explained to him that it was actually prescribed it in this country for people with thyroid disease. Yet most doctors don’t even know this because they get their medical education from medical journals after the 1970’s. Armour Thyroid, a natural treatment that (cannot be patented) was stopped being described in the in the UK in the 1960’s and replaced with a profit making synthetic chemical – thyroxine. Dr Toft gave me no scientific reason why I should not take Armour thyroid, even though doctors in America, Germany and other South American countries regularly prescribe Armour Thyroid. I decided there and then to take responsibility for my own health and go against Dr Toft and my GP’s advice.
Unfortunately Armour Thyroid has to be bought privately unless you can convince your doctor to prescribe it for you, good luck with that as most people are kicked out of the doctors practice for taking about Armour Thyroid rather than prescribed it.
I took advice from www.tpa-uk.org.uk on a reputable pharmacist that I could trust to buy Armour Thyroid. They recommended this site to me http://www.internationalpharmacy.com/en/home and I have been buying my Armour Thyroid from them ever since.
Armour Thyroid helps increase your metabolism where thyroxin slows it down. I found out that about 85% of people are unable to transfer T4 hormone into T3 when they use Thyroxin medication. T3 is essential to the function of the main organs of your body. Armour thyroid naturally has T4, T3 as well as T2 and T1 (Tyroxine does not have T2 & T1) and I believe it makes you feel well with no side affects. Although this must be researched first and should be started on small doses. To much will increase the heart and thyroid where you could suffer irregular heart rhythms and in danger of becoming overactive.
Initially I had an overactive thyroid, the doctor gave me three options – medication for the rest of my life, surgery or radiation. Through my lack of knowledge and ignorance I choose radiation! This physically destroyed too much of my thyroid ending up with an underactive thyroid. I have since found out that people are curing their underactive thyroid through proper diet and supplementation alone!
Avoid soy and soy products which damage the thyroid.
I am concerned about how much synthetic medication, antibiotics and steroids you are putting in your system which will have a negative effect on your immune system.

I would get advice from Sheila Turner on the safety of taking Armour Thyroid along with all that synthetic medication.

Regards
H
hazel
Lancashire U.K.

27-10-2012, 05:42 PM

thanks for the info, obviously it's a lot to take in a few minutes but it's interesting cos it's just what Mike says too many chemicals. It was one of them Amiodarone which damaged the thyroid, leading to obesity,diabetese and umbilicle hernia which cos of heart probs won't operate on till it bursts. Good in't it. Once again thanks I will look hard at it and thanks for your trouble.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top