Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2012, 08:01 PM

Re: Negative aspects of breast screening

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Correction Ted , for me the 'twerps' are the conceited know-it-alls who think it is ok to try to force their opinions on others ad nauseam..
But it's not my opinions. It's hard evidence from peer reviewed research.
It's a pity you can't tell the difference.

It may have escaped your notice in your rush to push your supplements but many here have already been for a mammogram recently and I consider you constant rants to be unhelpful to them
I consider your attitude totally unreasonable.

In the light of today's evidence over over-diagnosis resulting from current screening policy it's just amazing that you aren't able to see that your position is untenable.

You're the person who should be apologizing for your actions that may encourage more people to be harmed by over-treatment.

I don't understand why you are so reluctant to face up to the consequences of your actions.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2012, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by TedHutchinson ->
But it's not my opinions. It's hard evidence from peer reviewed research.
It's a pity you can't tell the difference.
That's just it Ted it's your opinion and I could easily produce research to disprove the things you say.
I know you of old so won't bother to waste my time
TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2012, 08:25 PM

That's just it Ted it's your opinion and I could easily produce research to disprove the things you say.
I know you of old so won't bother to waste my time
The evidence, no matter how much it irritates you or goes counter to your beliefs, must guide us.

Over a 10-year period, one in every two women who gets a mammogram will receive a false positive.

Aside from the emotional impact being told you have cancer, one in 11 will actually be treated for breast cancer that does not require immediate treatment – undergoing biopsies, radiation and surgery for no benefit.

You seem to forget that Screening carries risks as well as benefits.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2012, 08:27 PM

**Can I remind people to stay on topic please
This is not the place to post a lecture on spreads.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK

30-10-2012, 08:45 PM

I was only replying to a comment made by another poster to this thread.

However control of inflammation is fundamental to survival in breast cancer

Breast cancer survival linked to inflammation

So choosing foods that lower rather than raise inflammatory status is useful strategy for both prevention and survival.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2012, 09:09 PM

The evidence, no matter how much it irritates you or goes counter to your beliefs, must guide us.

Over a 10-year period, one in every two women who gets a mammogram will receive a false positive.

Aside from the emotional impact being told you have cancer, one in 11 will actually be treated for breast cancer that does not require immediate treatment – undergoing biopsies, radiation and surgery for no benefit.

You seem to forget that Screening carries risks as well as benefits.
I know the topic is Mammograms but could I be allowed to go slightly off topic here. What about Male Breast Cancer how many men (or their wives or partners) check regularly. Perhaps you men should speak up on your thoughts on Breast Cancer. Yet again apologies I've gone off topic but I think it's a valid point and connected to the thread since mammograms deals with diagnosis of breast cancer. Is it allowed??
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2012, 09:36 PM

sorry Meg thought you were having a go at me and my Pakistani friend about the margarine, you can't really get it now so said spreads.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK

30-10-2012, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by hazel ->
What about Male Breast Cancer how many men (or their wives or partners) check regularly. Perhaps you men should speak up on your thoughts on Breast Cancer.
Use Of Mammograms In Men
This answers your question.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.

30-10-2012, 10:07 PM

Use Of Mammograms In Men
This answers your question.
No it does not why has it taken you so long to come up with this Ted you should have come up with this in your first thread, You're male, men are almost as prone as women why go on about females. Men are the forgotten ones but you are so concerned with breast cancer you don't mention them.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK

30-10-2012, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by hazel ->
No it does not why has it taken you so long to come up with this Ted you should have come up with this in your first thread, You're male, men are almost as prone as women why go on about females. Men are the forgotten ones but you are so concerned with breast cancer you don't mention them.
I don't think you read the article.
It says Male breast cancer is exceedingly rare
in men Breast cancer is rare and most often easily detected on physical examination,
So it's an even greater waste of time and money using mammography on men.
The point is for women if you have a MAMMOGRAM done every year for 10 years then you have a 50% chance of one of those mammogram giving cause for concern and further investigations required and then you are in the situation where at the very best the odds are 4<>1 that the procedures taken will be over to top and you are far more likely to be given unnecessary treatment than treatment for a dangerous cancer.

If you didn't have the regular screening mammogram but went to the GP and mammogram at the very first hint of any concerning symptoms then your odds of survival would be just the same and your risk of having unnecessary treatment would be much reduced. Therefore saving yourself the worry that regular screening inevitably causes owing to the amount of over-treatment as reported in today's study.

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top