Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 02:04 PM

Advice please on Lamb Steaks

Hi everyone, countdown to the day has begun and need your advice if you wouldn't mind.

My OH dislikes Turkey and Christmas Pudding so we never have it for Christmas lunch and as there are only the two of us for Christmas we usually have his favourites - either a Beef joint, steak or half a leg of Lamb with all the trimmings.

However, after a lot of humming and fro-ing, he finally decided what he thinks would be the perfect meal for Christmas lunch this year. Take a look below at the meal !

A very lean, juicy Lamb Steak with caramelised onions
New potatoes
Broccoli, Cauliflower and minted peas
Lamb Gravy

followed by
Home-made Apple and Blueberry Pie with Custard.

Yes, I know, the most unconventional Christmas lunch if ever I heard of one, but hey, anything to put a satisfied smile on his face !
My query though is how best to cook these two beautiful steaks. Normally with Lamb steaks or chops I throw them into the frying pan after first rubbing them with Olive Oil and Mint Sauce, but thought I could perhaps oven-bake them this time by first marinading them with the same for a couple of hours but not quite sure how long to cook them for in the oven. He doesn’t like them rare, no blood Yuk! not too pink but not well done either (fussy devil). problem is that after looking up some recipes online they all give different timings for how I want to oven bake them to perfection.

Do you think if I bake them on 180 for ten minutes each side they would come out not too well done, but still melt in the mouth?? As you all no doubt know, Lamb is sooooo expensive here in the UK at the moment so don’t want to make a hash of the meal.
I’m fine with everything else, just these blooming Lamb Steaks.
Advice would be appreciated please for someone who has been married for over 40 years and should know how to cook just about everything but still fears Lamb Steaks cooked a new way for me.

Thanks very much, regards Shroppie
xxxxx
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 02:14 PM

Re: Advice please on Lamb Steaks

I cook them same as I would a beef steak, they don't need long at all.

We have been known to picnic or have egg on toast for Christmas dinner so looks quite festive to me
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 02:22 PM

Hi Julie, how long do you cook your beef steaks for and is that when you oven-bake them ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 02:31 PM

No they go into the frying pan, I do them as long as each person wishes, my husband likes his quite rare, my niece completely charred through and my nephew if it could still baa he would be happy.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 02:32 PM

I'm a Philistine, I would microwave them! I'll get me coat...!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 02:36 PM

If you're set on lamb steaks, I wouldn't oven bake them - I'd grill them.

If I was having lamb, my choice would be a slow-roast shoulder. If it was Christmas dinner though, I'd have a venison steak.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 02:48 PM

Sear in a very hot pan then just a very few minutes in the oven. Then allow them to rest for a few minutes-you want them pink but not blue(as in a very rare steak)

The menu looks lovely--enjoy
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

21-12-2015, 02:48 PM

thanks for your replies but still need to know how long to oven-bake them in my olive oil and mint rub? I have friends who have done them loads of times in the oven and they cook beautifully so this is what I plan to do to keep the oven top free for other things, but they like theirs rare which doesn't help because they are giving me "guesstimite timings" to cook them medium.
I really don't want to overcook them so would appreciate any help x
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 02:49 PM

Lamb steaks are leg meat and can be quite tough.
If you are having them I would bash with a rolling pin to tenderise then marinate in olive oil, garlic and rosemary before grilling under a pre heated grill.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

21-12-2015, 02:50 PM

Thanks OG, problem is OH doesn't like his steaks pink! he is so fussy, he likes it just come off the pink but definitely not overcooked. I guess you would say medium.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top