Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2011, 06:58 PM

steroids

On another course of steroids this week this really cold weather is playing havoc with my asthma. Getting another check up next week at the doc's hopefully by then I will be back to my old self whatever that is
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2011, 07:23 PM

Re: steroids

Yes Jean the cold weather is bad, my mother had asthma and it was awful, she was no good going out if it was windy either.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2011, 07:57 PM

It's a shame we can't hibernate through the winter, Jean ...... then wake up all refreshed for Spring

I hope you'll be feeling better soon.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2011, 09:28 PM

I echo Mags, I'd love to sleep thru it too. Jean, I have COPD too, but mine is emphysema, and fortunately the cold makes no difference ... still short of breath regardless of temps.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2011, 10:55 PM

Hope you feel better soon Jean. My friend has Asthma, and she has to have steroids in the winter months-doesn't like taking them, but they do help her.
inthemoment777
United Kingdom
inthemoment777 is male  inthemoment777 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 11:34 AM

Hi Jean,

I thought you might find this article interesting.

How to treat asthma with diet and herbs
Sunday, June 17, 2012 by: Sarka-Jonae Miller

Over the past three decades the number of people with asthma has increased significantly in the United States and diet may be to blame. Studies show a correlation between poor diet and asthma. People are eating more processed, unnatural foods and fewer things that are good for them. People who eat healthy nutritious foods develop asthma less often than people who eat poorly. Although few doctors acknowledge the link between asthma and diet it does exist. Certain foods and nutrients appear to be effective in the prevention and treatment for asthma. There are also asthma guidelines for foods people should avoid.

Management of asthma symptoms

Diet modifications are a reasonable option for people wondering how to treat asthma naturally. Research shows that people who large amounts of antioxidants and other nutrients including flavonoids, omega-3 fatty acids, beta-carotene, vitamin C, vitamin E, selenium and magnesium have lower rates of asthma. Antioxidants are likely a large factor in the reduced asthma rates because they neutralize harmful free radicals and thus protect cells from damage.

Studies show that children and teenagers who eat diets high in fruits and omega-3 fatty acids generally have strong lungs and few asthma-like symptoms. Conversely, people who get low amounts of nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin E and omega-3s have high rates of poor lung function. The Mediterranean diet shows promise for the prevention and management of asthma. The Mediterranean diet promotes fruits, vegetables and nuts. These foods are high in antioxidants and vitamins.

Asthma guidelines for eating

Diet and asthma may seem like a strange correlation. Asthma has to do with constriction of the bronchial tubes that pass through the lungs, not the digestive system. Inflammation of the airways and mucus production contribute to asthma, which is why anti-inflammatory medications are a large part of conventional asthma treatment. However, foods can decrease inflammation too. Turmeric and ginger have anti-inflammatory properties.

Avoiding certain foods also plays a role in the treatment for asthma. Dairy products can increase mucus production. Andrew Weil, PhD recommends that people with asthma eliminate milk products, animal protein and fried foods from their diets. He also says to stay away from polyunsaturated vegetable oils and partially hydrogenated oils.

More asthma guidelines for diet include increasing omega-3 intake, relying on extra-virgin olive oil as a main source of fat and consuming organic fruits and vegetables daily. Apples, carrots, leafy vegetables and tomatoes have all demonstrated beneficial effects for preventing asthma in studies.

Drinking a lot of water to keep respiratory tract secretions more fluid is important too. The Mayo Clinic suggests that women in general have at least 9 cups of water daily and that men drink 13 cups.

How to treat asthma with herbs and tinctures

Butterbur root extract decreased the severity, frequency and duration of asthma attacks in a study involving 80 patients. The study took place over the course of four months and by the end, more than 40 percent of participants who were taking asthma medication were able to decrease usage.

A tincture of three parts lobelia to one part cayenne pepper mixed in water and taken at the first signs of impending asthma attacks can help stop attacks before they start.

Management of asthma and allergies

Food allergies can contribute to asthma. Discovering food triggers and then avoiding them can therefore help with the management of asthma. Sugar, soy, corn and gluten are common foods that cause allergies. Abstaining from eating these foods for eight weeks to see if symptoms improve can indicate a problem.

Common drugs' side effects

* Antipsychotic medications that are used to treat "mental disorders" can result in confusion, sedation, low blood pressure, falls, urinary retention, Parkinsonism (involuntary shaking and twitching), and tardive dyskinesia (repetitive body movements)

* Antihistamines used to treat allergies can result in confusion, sedation, low blood pressure, falls, sleep disturbance, and urinary retention

* Drugs that relieve nausea can lead to confusion, sedation, low blood pressure, falls, urinary retention, Parkinsonism, and tardive dyskinesia

* Pain medication can result in constipation, confusion, & sedation. Even over the counter medications can result in serious liver and gastrointestinal side effects.

* Drugs to treat Parkinson's disease can result in confusion, dizziness, low blood pressure, and an increase in cardiovascular toxicity

* Drugs to relieve muscle spasms can result in dry mouth, constipation, urinary retention, and delirium

* Urinary incontinence drugs can result in dry mouth, constipation, urinary retention, delirium, and confusion

All of these side effects relate to individual drugs. Imagine how these side effects can be compounded by taking several prescription drugs at a time.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 01:37 PM

Part of the trouble with steriods is that while they provide short-term relief they are also doing harm by reducing your Vitamin D3 level.

The lower your 25(OH)D (vitamin D) level the lower your PULMONARY function so the harder you find it to deal with Asthma.

Asthma is an Inflamamtory condition

Vitamin D is most effective as an ANTI INFLAMMATORY agent when circulating levels are around 125nmol/l. that is about 3 or 4 times higher than the vitamin d level of most readers of this forum.
inthemoment777
United Kingdom
inthemoment777 is male  inthemoment777 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 03:40 PM

Ted, you are very well informed and I agree with what you said about the benefits of vitamin D.
janet gracey
london
janet gracey is female  janet gracey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 03:48 PM

My sister in law has COPD too. She has a Nebulizer and inhalers, steroids. Not wheezy though. When I had blood tests a few months ago I was told my vitamin D was very low. I bought a bottle of them and take one every morning.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by janet gracey ->
When I had blood tests a few months ago I was told my vitamin D was very low. I bought a bottle of them and take one every morning.
1000iu/Vitamin D3/CHOLECALCIFEROL for every 25lbs you weigh is usually required in the UK to bring levels up to the NATURAL level that humans living outdoor lives wearing little if any clothing reach Vitamin D equilibrium and are best able to fight inflammation and infection.
So your bottle should have 5000iu or 125mcg or 125µg on the label.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top