Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2012, 02:07 AM

Health care - minor rant

I booked an appointment with my neurologist to ask if there were meds that might help with my fatigue. (I have MS).

My doc wasn't available so I saw an intern. He struggled a bit with English but we managed. He wrote a prescription for me and told me to start with 1 tablet per day and take a max of 2 if required.

At the pharmacy, they interpreted his script differently. Apparently what he wrote meant that I should take 2 tablets on the same day but only once a month. I questioned the pharmacist - did she think I only had one 24-hour spell of fatigue per month? She wouldn't back down and it took 3 days for them to get clarification from the clinic.

The prescription is ready for pickup but now I'm worried it might not be the right meds! Going to get the name of the drug and look it up first.

Do you think there should be some test of English fluency for everyone working in health care? Or at least a second set of eyes for every prescription written?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2012, 06:40 AM

Re: Health care - minor rant

Yes, I dread going to see a Hospital Doctor as I struggle like Crazy with their Accent. I know they are only doing their Job and they are speaking (mostly) good English BUT it's their Accent that causes the Problems, Doctors Writing is a Mystery to me at the best of times, surely your Chemist could have phoned the Hospital and spoken to them about your Meds.......Don't even get me started on Phone Calls I have to make and it's a Foreigner on the other end. Jheeezzzeeeeeee.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2012, 10:56 AM

Anybody who works in a foreign country should have a good grasp of the language. I am sick fed up with Asians working in call centres who you cannot understand.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
Anybody who works in a foreign country should have a good grasp of the language. I am sick fed up with Asians working in call centres who you cannot understand.
Thats the reason I left Talk Talk, and joined Zen, Their Call Centres are based in Preston not The Punjab. The joy of talking to someone who speaks English clearly, makes you almost tearful at times.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2012, 11:08 AM

We have had a big problem wth our IT help desk at work. It used to be in Cologne and worked fine and then it was decided to move it to India doubtless to save money and thats when the problems started. Luckily I haven't had to call them but when people have the general complaint is that they cannot understand them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2012, 01:08 PM

Sue can you ring your neurologist and get it checked?

I would . I guess you will get put through to his/her secretary and you can then explain your problem
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2012, 04:09 PM

Oh yes find out before you take them,thats a good idea Meg. I have great difficulty useing the phone with being deaf, I have to almost screw the the piece into my ear, and if they have an accent its hopeless.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2012, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
Oh yes find out before you take them,thats a good idea Meg. I have great difficulty useing the phone with being deaf, I have to almost screw the the piece into my ear, and if they have an accent its hopeless.
Annie darlin' - what about this 'induction loop' thingy??? - can you not get your 'phone fitted with one to make hearing voices on the 'phone that much easier???
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 01:18 AM

I have been saying for years that anybody working in the health department should not just have a good grasp of English, but to be totally fluent in it, and I think it should be an absolute pre-requisite when seeking a job here.

I am totally not racist but, if people are in a position to hand out medication, or in a position of trust and care, then they should speak "perfect" English in order that they can be understood.

Annie, as Uncle Joe mentioned, you should look into the induction loop system for your phone. It will help you greatly to hear what is being said. Also, there is another agency (I'm not sure what it's called) which number you dial, you speak with them and they ring the plumber, electrician or whatever you want whilst they relay your messages.

I once had such a call at work from a mediator who was also on the line to a deaf person, and between us we managed to get the help that was needed. I think this is part of the induction loop system.

You really should try Age UK to assist in this.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2012, 06:37 PM

at the eye hospital a few yrs ago doc was writing a prescription for drops when a philipino nurse, who'd been calling people's names out in dreadful English, walked behind him stopped and pointed to the script and started shaking her head,He'd put 0.5 instead of .05 for the strength, 2 yrs later she spoke fluent English.
A lovely new Indian lady doc at GP's, called Dr Christmas, I could barely understand her broad Scot's accent.
A doctor in A & E could barely understand him and he kept asking what medication I was on and I kept saying the GP had sent a copy to them which he had in front of him and he could read that. Eventually he said Amoxycillin I told him NO he was muttering at me then stuck the notes he was looking at under my nose and pointed it out to me. This was in 2006 I checked the date of birth and said Do I look as though I was born in 1914 ( I was 59)and my name isn't James Brown either, mind you I wished I had his money.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top