Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2012, 04:51 PM

A Wee Bit of Advice Please....

I was at the Doctor for my 6 Monthly Blood Pressure Check, it was fine but the Doctor decided to take a load of Blood for different Tests. I phoned in a Wee While ago for the Results and my Glucose was high.
I've to have a 12 hour Fast and then another Blood Test to see exatly what's what with the Glucose and I was thinking it would do no harm to try and reduce it anyway. Sooo can anyone tell me what Foods to eat that Help, and what Foods will be a No No?
Thanks.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2012, 06:13 PM

Re: A Wee Bit of Advice Please....

Hi Roxy I would avoid any sugar.
Porridge oats are good with a little milk (no sugar of course), lots of steamed vegetables /lean meat/grilled fish/fresh fruit (again no sugar)/organic eggs/ and brown bread.

A no no is sugar/ processed foods.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2012, 06:29 PM

Hi Meg, Thanks. I try to aviod Sugar anyway and don't add it, none in coffee either. I'd be fine with most Meats, only like Tuna, must admit I love white Bread (sigh) But if it has to to then it has to go. I eat most Veg, Peas, Carrot, corn. Love Cucumber and Tomatoes. Not too sure about the Porridge though lol don't think I could stomach that. I drink Twinnings Fruit Teas, think they should be ok too.
I suppose my Favourite Latte's will be a No No too. Oh Lordy I hope not...that will be hard.

Poor Geoff will be feeling quite faint if he's reading my future Diet lol.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2012, 06:38 PM

Hi Roxy I eat organic porridge (Flahavans Organic) and use a ramekin to measure 1 of oats to 2 of water put in a basin in the fridge at bed time then 4 mins in the microwave in the morning stirring twice for a beautiful creamy porridge which I have with a little whole milk . It's heaven and healthy.

For bread I compromise with 50% wholemeal flour to 50% white (again organic flour and fresh yeast) for lovely fluffy rolls .

Latte ? minus the sugar
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2012, 06:47 PM

Sorry I can't help with any advice Roxy but the best of luck with this glucose problem..
As it happens I've had bloods taken myself this week as part of the new NHS 2 yearly check up for the over 60s, I get the results in a couple of weeks time..
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2012, 08:35 PM

Roxy darlin' if you have to cut down on sugar, then be careful of milk which contains Lactose (a natural sugar). Likewise fruit too which contains Fructose (again another natural sugar). Porridge should be made the traditional highland way - with WATER, not MILK and be seasoned with salt !!!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

03-08-2012, 09:25 PM

Thanks Plantman
Geoff I will not be eating Porridge, the thought of it makes my Guts Squirm, I don't take much Milk either, just a spot of Semi Skimmed in my Coffee or my Lunchtime Latte if I'm eating out. I will change to Brown Bread, and won't eat much as I really don't care for it. Don't take Sugar. The fruits I eat are....Satsumas, white grapes, honey dew melon, strawbs, rasps, grapefruit. Will have to stop the crisps when we eat out, they put them on your plate with your sandwich, along with salad.
Will have to cut out the Snacks between Meals though....sigh. Those are my Killers.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2012, 09:29 PM

Roxy darlin' - all the fruits you have mentioned contain lots of fructose (natural fruit sugars) so please be careful of those too.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

03-08-2012, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Roxy darlin' - all the fruits you have mentioned contain lots of fructose (natural fruit sugars) so please be careful of those too.
Awwwww Rats, Rats and more Bloody Rats.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

03-08-2012, 09:34 PM

Roxy darlin' after you've received the results of your tests, make an appointment to see your surgery's Dietician nurse - perhaps S/he can help you with a 'proper' diet of things which you can eat.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top