Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2012, 09:22 PM

Re: Painkillers cause Headaches.

My daughter is a nurse, she says the best thing for a headache is to drink plenty of water. Dehydration is the main cause of headheaches.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2012, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by shaz ->
My daughter is a nurse, she says the best thing for a headache is to drink plenty of water. Dehydration is the main cause of headheaches.
Good advice Shaz ..... thanks!
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2012, 12:22 AM

This is so true! I very rarely get headaches but as soon as we get some hot weather I get one which I put down to being dehydrated so have to drink plenty of water which does the trick
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2012, 12:46 AM

Yes thats true drinking plenty of water is the best option,I only take pain killers if all else fails.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2012, 12:47 AM

Funny thing is that I used to get headaches when I was much younger but these days rarely suffer from them and on the rare occasion I do they are usually sinus related so sinus tablets relieve them better than painkillers.

However I do take a lot of strong painkillers after few back operations and the comment about the body becoming immune to their effect is quite true.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2012, 12:32 PM

I'm lucky as well as I never suffer from headaches but hubby regularly suffers with migraines, he's just come home this dinnertime and taken some painkillers that the doctor prescribed to him for migraines. He was prescribed Imigran 50.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2012, 09:15 AM

WATER??? - ergh Yuk!!! can't have that anyway as I'll go rusty. I drink fruit juice instead, or coffee laced with Brandy!!!
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2012, 10:12 AM

I only have one cup of tea a day, I only drink water the rest of the day.

By the way hubby says that 'Imigran 50' he took for his migraine was very effective, it cleared within two and a half hours of taking one tablet. You can only get it on prescription though.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2012, 01:26 PM

I'd heard about that, and if you take painkillers regularly, your body becomes immune to them, thence the docs have to switch some of my meds around occasionally to stop them ceasing to function properly.

I seldom get headaches but when I do I find smoking a menthol cigarette helps, I'm not sure if it would with everybody though and it isn't worth starting smoking to find out, but if you already smoke then it is worth a try. works for me.
Alicat
West Berkshire

23-09-2012, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->

I seldom get headaches but when I do I find smoking a menthol cigarette helps, I'm not sure if it would with everybody though and it isn't worth starting smoking to find out, but if you already smoke then it is worth a try. works for me.
It worked the other way round for me oldbugger, when I smoked many years ago now I found menthol cigarettes used to give me headaches.

Funny how were all different isn't it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top