Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 07:34 PM

Re: Shill

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
The politics thread in particular and some comments made.
Guess that is where the term shilly-shallying originates.

Origin
mid 18th century: originally as shill I, shall I, reduplication of shall I?

Nothing to do with coin. The word shilling comes from old English "Scilling", a monetary term meaning twentieth of a pound, and from the Proto-Germanic root skiljaną meaning 'to separate, split, divide.'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shilling

Aah, thanks Cinders. I steer well clear of those threads, so I guess that's why I didn't understand what you meant.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 11:34 AM

Yes, thank you for the explanation Cinderella. I must admit that it is a word that I have never come across either. ''Shilly-shallying'' definitely, but not ''shill''. One learns something new every day.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
I first came across it during all the internet sites discussing the missing Madeleine McCann .
Shills were appointed and paid it was said by their critics to support and promote the McCann parents claim that she had been abducted .
Never heard that at all .
No doubt lies put about by said critics.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top