Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 09:49 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

I can't use tissues as allergic to the dust from the fibres and trying to buy hankies these days is the devils own job

We had an English teacher...huge women commonly known as buxom who on entering our class room ..No that's wrong.. she sailed into our class room..and always demanded we "take out our handkerchiefs and use them" in a loud booming voice.

At this time in our young lives if you owned one of those it was pinned to your jumper so you did not lose it but it was more than likely you used your sleeve' To be honest 'snotrags' were laughed at as being poncey.

We were all scared witless of her so we made every effort possible to obey and let me tell you you that there is nothing more impressive than a class room full of kids loudly blowing their noses... into the palms of their hands. Don't ask what we did with any contents ...just use your imagination
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 07:50 PM

Ah yes, the old shiny ganzey sleeve.

I’m always amazed that ads on TV about condoms, winning an orgasm, men's erection problems, and women boasting about leaky bladders don’t warrant a “Tut tut tut”, it’s all part of life, nothing to be ashamed of, but if someone mentions a snot all the noses go up in the air, “How utterly disgusting!”
When fluid comes out of one’s eyes it gains sympathy and pity, everyone feels sad to see someone else cry, yet an inch or two below and on the same face lies the nose and if any form of liquid or matter comes out for whatever reason it’s frowned upon straight away, and one dare not mention the humble pitiless snot.
There’s nothing as irritating as a stubborn hard piece of snot lodged in ones nasal passage, and if one is in company one may not dare try to remove the offending little bugger, it can ruin your whole night out, an come on now be honest, it has happened to us all.
Strange that, because if you had something in your eye everyone present would dash to your assistance to help you remove it, we are a funny lot us humans.

Now here’s a fella who had a big conker and was proud of it too, someone once referred to his nose as “The biggest snot factory in Hollywood”

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 09:35 PM

Chronic Catarrh can take your breath away.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 09:24 AM

And there were those that would inspect a bogie or earwax and insist on showing you....or even worse flicked it at you.

Lord we are descending into the depths of human depravity here

Moving swiftly on....Strictly come dancing is due to air shortly so once again there will be gasps of amazement at the ever increasing daring deeds performed by the dancing duos.

They would still have a long way to go though to match some of the old time screen dancers and can you imagine the newspapers write ups if they were to perform La Danse Apache...but there again can you just picture the live audiences faces watching this brilliant performance. It would be priceless to watch

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 09:15 PM

I always love watching the Apache dances, great stuff, such energy. I keep thinking I’ll see Geronimo jumping about but I haven’t seen a single Indian yet. That was a neat trick striking the match off the girls foot.
Why is it called an Apache dance?
“Origin. In fin de siècle Paris young members of street gangs were labelled Apaches by the press because of the ferocity of their savagery towards one another, a name taken from the native North American indigenous people, the Apache” Wiki.

What a coincidence seeing Charlie Chan in that clip, I am watching the old Charlie Chan films again on Youtube, Sidney Toler and Warner Oland played the part with equal brilliance IMO.
That’s one of the good things about being old, you keep forgetting who done it and can watch them over and over again.

I see you’re off on your travels Spitty, enjoy yourselves, you deserve it after all the hard work you put into that lovely office of yours.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 10:20 PM

Is there any room in the current world for simple Simon and the Pieman, and, is there a Fair anymore?
solo
UK

02-09-2019, 01:04 PM

Enjoy your travels and stay safe spitty.

There would always be room in my world for a Pieman...simple or not.

There used to be cooked Ham, Roast Pork and meat and potato pie shops that we would hang around on market days when they did a roaring trade.

The chap slicing the meats didn't have time to wipe the knife clean ( not that that mattered much in those days) so he would knock the scraps off the knife into our waiting hands with his sharpener. Pork or ham...we didn't care as it tasted so good.. and that mix was better than any of those perfect slices, neatly wrapped and given to housewives... but the best was those meat and potato pies. Short crust pastry that melted in your mouth and lots of filling. Non of this half full rip off nonsense that you get today along with all the excuses..

What capped it all was if you were very lucky you could be given bits of pork scratchings and then your day was really complete.

Then it was off to the chippy to see if we could cadge some batter scratchings. Life was good

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

02-09-2019, 02:36 PM

God bless your memory Solo, there was eating and drinking on that post, ah happy memories.

“Is there any room in the current world for simple Simon and the Pieman, and, is there a Fair anymore?”

Interesting questions Spitty.

It pays big to act simple nowadays, the Simple Simons of this World go on to greater things, especially in politics, where they can reach the peak of the political pyramid as we have seen in recent years.

As for the pieman all he ever wanted was his own bakery and all the dough he could knead.

Yes there are still fairs about, but the World is in a state of chaos and nothing seems fair anymore.

We all have to do what Simple Simon says, especially when it comes to tax on pies.

Simple Simon met a Melton Mowbray Pieman going to the fair
Said Simple Simon to the pieman “Sent them to the USA, they love them over there”
“Tis sad to say, but the tax is far too high old mate, maybe in November when we’ve reached our sell by date.

solo
UK

02-09-2019, 06:29 PM

You got that right about keeping things simple....worked for us didn't it. Now everything they say is simple or made easier strikes fear in yer heart...cos you know it will be anything but simple.

Take faggots. You couldn't get a more simple nourishing meal than that. A couple would fill a grown man and see him set him up for a good days work. Now the thought of serving up a faggot is sneered at for more than one reason. (Mind you I can't think how faggots got caught up with anything sexual though. Odd how things get twisted isn't it) Probably done that way by McieDs to stop us from eating them and instead buying their healthy double whoppers or whatevers instead

I was trying to think of what has stayed simple and do you know I simply can't think of anything. Even our wooden laundry pegs have gone plastic and twang into pieces at the slightest suggestions of a sheet and a stiff breeze.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

03-09-2019, 07:53 AM

Life would be simple, if only we could get the answer to the most basic of questions, which came first???????

The Faggot or the Mushy Pea.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top