Join for free
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 10:35 PM

"The British people have spoken" No they haven't!

Brilliant piece by Richard Dawkins:

Video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39218108

Viewsnight is BBC Newsnight's place for ideas and opinion. Here, Richard Dawkins - evolutionary biologist and writer - expresses his frustration with the idea that "the British people have spoken" on Brexit.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 10:48 PM

Re: "The British people have spoken" No they haven't!

That's what I've been saying...
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 01:35 AM

He makes a good point in saying you would need a phd in economics to predict what will happen so most could not make an informed choice, but spoils it by saying people were ill informed, which offends many. Decisions were based on the qualitative and "patriotic" rather than rational hard facts on business and economics. I've studied the relevant subjects but its impossible to explain why this is beyond wrong to someone who hasn't because its like the select committees trying to understand derivatives after the banking crash. People are finally starting to see that the prices in shops are rising, there are fewer goods, there is a desperate budget, companies starting to leave the uk, a gradual erosion of our living standards. Some talk of a bumpy ride ahead as if it's nothing. A "bumpy ride" is catastrophic post-austerity when you have a family and trying to make ends meet with no prospect for state help. It's very depressing and a crazy thing we are doing.

I don't like dawkins but he is highly influential and a logical realist, so i hope his message reaches the parts others have not.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2017, 09:40 AM

I think the people who are talking about a bumpy ride are those who have offshore accounts , and not the ordinary folk of the uk
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2017, 12:50 PM

The people who have talked about this refer to us as a nation having an economically bumpy ride. Changes in offshore account tax declarations aren't related to Brexit and happened before the referendum. In fact the chancellor or some public bod at one point hinted we would become a tax haven if the EU didn't reach a deal with us!
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2017, 03:44 PM

It's only just the tip of the iceberg. EU funding has already been granted so a safety buffer.

It's the next 12 years you will sharp economic decline. Plus America will not want to know.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top