Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
noolsg
Kildare Ireland
noolsg is female  noolsg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 05:24 PM

Exercise class

I have been attending a counselling psychologist for help and he has suggested I join an exercise class and get an outdoor hobby. I've no idea where I'll get time to fit that in. Has anybody any suggestions. He also told me to choose a diet to lose weight (a lot at the start). Maybe I should ask the weight issue in the diet section
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 12:31 AM

Re: Exercise class

How about this for a start !

https://brightside.me/inspiration-he..._gr_brightside
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 05:15 AM

Might you invest in some light hand weights, and a foam yoga mat? You might also commit to never watching television while sitting or lying down - do something like abdominal crunches, planks, arm raises with weights. If you are making phone calls, do squats, lunges or arm activities. This will add significantly to other fitness choices you make like walking, swimming, or classes. There are many classes on DVD and Youtube. How wonderful that you are doing this for yourself .
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 06:51 AM

I'd like an exercise class for disabled/elderly people. It is too difficult to join in with healthy able-bodied mostly young people at the leisure centre.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lila ->
I'd like an exercise class for disabled/elderly people. It is too difficult to join in with healthy able-bodied mostly young people at the leisure centre.
Lilia, if you have a local Leisure Centre, they might do classes for you there. All our local council ones do. Over 60's everything... and they're not all able bodied, many are well in excess of their normal weight and they so enjoy it.
Over 60's Swimming classes are good as it is supporting to the body.
There are also gentle exercise rooms. Machines that do some of the work for you, just adjust the speed and don't take off into the surrounding atmosphere .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 11:14 AM

Hi

It is sometimes difficult to find classes in Rural Areas.

I am somewhat weak at the moment, however we have a class 9 miles away, once a week, sit down Yoga.

We also have a gentle pilates class once a week.

Everybody is in the same boat, no flash bodies at all, so I would recommend them.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 09:00 AM

No, the local leisure centre doesn't do anything for me, (I wouldn't particularly want a class for/of people well in excess of their normal weight anyway, so often overweight people in classes or pools use their size to bully). Everybody is not in the same boat. Not that I'd be well enough to get there at the moment. I just need to remember to exercise at home, as with long-term health problems it is only too easy to get atrophied.

I used to like Pilates class but of course the teachers aren't trained in all physical problems and crowd control.
CrosbyCulbert
New Member!
Melbourne
CrosbyCulbert is male 

14-03-2018, 05:10 AM

If you are overweight then you do need diet plan with exercise class. Do break your meals in small frequent meals and drink more water than routine. Avoid eating late and do exercises regularly.
[Mod edit: Link removed]
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 05:56 PM

After years of being very fat (ok, "obese" in today's polite jargon!) the 5:2 diet got me down from 21st to 12½ stone. Very easy indeed to follow, minimal willpower required and it educates the body into needing less food anyway. I haven't put the weight back on, either.

All you do is eat 500 calories one day, let two or three days go by and then have another 500 calorie day. Simple as that. I'm proof it works.

As for the gym, don't be intimidated, noolsg and Lila. It's not as scary as you think and, without exception, everyone I have met in various gyms over the years has been nothing but politeness itself. I split my time between the local Age UK centre which has a small gym and the much larger Local Council Gym.

Age UK costs only £1 per session, which can be as long or as short as you like, and of course everyone is "of a certain age" and thus very social as we train. It might be worth asking if your area has one. The Council Gym has umpteen modern machines and people of all ages, shapes and sizes use it. The atmosphere is friendly but people mainly mind their own business and just nod and smile a greeting as they concentrate hard on their workouts. This one costs £6.75 for an age-related discount card that lasts a year, and a session thereafter is £2.75 - I don't bother with the monthly/yearly fee options. I went back there recently after a heart attack I had in October last year, and to add to the fun I need surgery in both knees, but nobody would think to give me a second glance as I train. No-one is judgemental. I love it.

Anyway, a bit of a long post but I hope it helps.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lila ->
I've often thought how I'd like to be a exercise class teacher for the elderly. One day I might just do that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top