Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 08:35 AM

An interesting item about electric vehicles …

I was scrolling through the news items and saw what I thought was an interesting one about electric vehicles. Others may not have seen this and be interested to read it, link below:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48881117
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 09:17 AM

Re: An interesting item about electric vehicles …

A few of problems that have not been considered.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
A few of problems that have not been considered.
Yes, and that is just a few as there are many, many problems associated with electric cars. The major ones are very limited mileage range, charging points and cost of the vehicles and batteries.

Recently there was a TV programme where the reporter was at a factory producing hybrid Bentleys, not average cars but all the same who would buy a car that only had a 30 mile range before it went over to petrol?

Also mentioned was the average cost of electric vehicles – £33,000, that I would think is way above what the average person can reasonably afford to pay for a car.

No, it will be decades and decades I reckon before the remaining 31 million of the 31.5 million cars presently on the roads are replaced with electric vehicles.

Either that or nobody will have their own car, we will be forced to use driverless, electric vehicles owned by big companies who will make vast profits out of us all.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 09:45 AM

We limit our driving now for necessary use only, and will not consider an electric car because of these problems.
Baz46

11-07-2019, 09:53 AM

We limit our driving now for necessary use only, and will not consider an electric car because of these problems.
My driving is limited too, I also bought a diesel car five years' ago. Ironically it was a VW and then not long after that diesels were 'demonised' so that was a waste of time and money really.

When I read other items about banning petrol and diesels it really does make me wonder how on earth the country is going to function. The link below to the RAC on this is just one of many, it makes worrying reading when the proposals are only around ten to fifteen years' away:

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/mot...anned-by-2030/
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 09:57 AM

We can't wait to get an electric car. It would suit us because the furthest we usually drive now is down to the city which is 75 km from our place on the motorway or The Blue Mountains which is about 140 km. I know there are disadvantages but all in all I would be glad to kiss petrol goodbye for good.
Baz46

11-07-2019, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
We can't wait to get an electric car. It would suit us because the furthest we usually drive now is down to the city which is 75 km from our place on the motorway or The Blue Mountains which is about 140 km. I know there are disadvantages but all in all I would be glad to kiss petrol goodbye for good.
Using for instance a VW e-Golf you could make the round trip to the city without recharging but the other one to the Blue Mountains would require a recharge to be on the safe side and get back home. The VW e-Golf does about 124 miles (200 kms) to a charge.

I guess it all depends on your use but until the range improves on electric cars probably hybrid vehicles would be better for higher mileage drivers.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

11-07-2019, 10:16 AM

We intend not to buy another car, the roads are simply too crowded and dangerous, roads in a very bad state needing repair.
Baz46

11-07-2019, 10:21 AM

We intend not to buy another car, the roads are simply too crowded and dangerous, roads in a very bad state needing repair.
That's not an option for many living in rural areas as I do. The bus service was cut back to almost none years' ago. To do a week's shopping and get that back home using the one bus a day in and one out would be quite a job.

Using taxis is OK and more convenient but the cost of those to the nearest town is rather expensive, probably £25 or more, round trip.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 10:33 AM

Something that doesn't get much of a mention is the capacity of our distribution network - the National Grid. That would need to be substantially upgraded if we went significantly down the EV route.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top