Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 02:09 PM

Re: Securing your home

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Funny you should say that because i.ve just been thinking how ridiculous it is that if someone enters our home we aren't allowed to batter 'em coz WE'D be the ones locked up. Wrong, just wrong
Personally, I would prefer to batter them then worry about it afterwards. there's no way I could stand there and watch some ( I can't think of a word horrible enough) nick stuff and get away with it. At least if you crushed his skull with a baseball bat, you would know that he would never do it again. That would make me feel very happy.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Personally, I would prefer to batter them then worry about it afterwards. there's no way I could stand there and watch some ( I can't think of a word horrible enough) nick stuff and get away with it. At least if you crushed his skull with a baseball bat, you would know that he would never do it again. That would make me feel very happy.
I get what you are saying Lodo, thankfully never been in and hopefully never will be in s position to find out what I d do in that situation.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 02:26 PM

I.ve got a dog albeit a small one but he does have a big bark! I wasn't serious about electric fence Bes, but ibeishbi could get one.
A bit off topic but slightly related.
I grew up on a farm in Scotland. Occasionally, we had an area fenced off with a single strand electric fence. This used to isolate a single cattle beast when/if it needed to be isolated.

The bravado in me - I used to grab it to show that I could. One day my dog nuzzled my hand. The shock went straight through me, into the dog's nose, and through his paws into the wet grass. I had rubber boots on, he didn't. It was a terrifying jolt, the worst I ever had.

Poor dog.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It really does annoy me that they have to be warned of cameras and dogs, they should be made to find out the hard way.
Isn't prevention the best way?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 02:39 PM

I have to say that a burglar alarm is only as good as your neighbours. If no-one takes a blind bit of notice of the alarm going off all it is is a loud noise.
I used to install intruder alarms including my own and six in homes around me. If one goes off (very few false alarms), one of us goes to investigate.

Any neighbourhood watches where you are LQ?

CCTV isn't a bad option and basic wireless battery operated systems are dirt cheap compared to what they were. You can see the pictures via PC, tablet and phone although recording can be a bit limited by dint of the on-board SD cards.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 03:22 PM

As many of you might already know, my neighbour was burgled yesterday and it's really put the wind up me thinking how close to my home it happened.

It has prompted me into getting quotes for a new side fence and gate and I'm also thinking of getting CCTV.

I've been thinking even if we get a new fence, even though its quite high, what's to stop them climbing over it. Perhaps I should get an electric fence!!!!

So my question is, how safe is your home, what safety measures have you gone to to keep it safe.

My door has double locks on it and we have fencing but this isn't enough in this day and age is it.
The whole object of home security is make it difficult for burglars. A determined burglar will get in regardless. The opportunistic thief wants to get into your home quickly and with little effort. Anything that makes it difficult for your average toe rag is worth considering.
Your outer defence, ie fencing around your property, thorny bush’s under windows, locking up garden tools and ladders.
Consider lighting, solar although not the brightest will lighten shadowed areas, sensor activated lighting similar to the Ring and Hive products
All of the above are not worth a damn if you have crap locks on your doors and windows, so they should be first on your list if not up to standard
Indoor sensors, having your ground floor on an alarm system if you haven’t a dog or vicious cat.
Of course you can go the whole hog and have a system set up and monitored by an alarm company.
It all depends on your budget, but I would certainly look at door and window locks first followed by fencing.

I have a dog and a shotgun and a monitored alarm system..I haven’t had to use them, make some sensible decisions, don’t over worry.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Isn't prevention the best way?
Maybe but I'm not sure if a warning sign just gives them time to plan something better, for instance if they know there is CCTV, they might come back wearing a mask.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

18-07-2019, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
A bit off topic but slightly related.
I grew up on a farm in Scotland. Occasionally, we had an area fenced off with a single strand electric fence. This used to isolate a single cattle beast when/if it needed to be isolated.

The bravado in me - I used to grab it to show that I could. One day my dog nuzzled my hand. The shock went straight through me, into the dog's nose, and through his paws into the wet grass. I had rubber boots on, he didn't. It was a terrifying jolt, the worst I ever had.

Poor dog.
I know what you mean, those fences are just waiting to be touched.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 04:53 PM

Edit. Response to LDs post

I suspect that might only happen if they know that you have something substantial worth nicking...
A cctv system might make the opportunist thief think, ’is it worth the risk, ?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

18-07-2019, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Edit. Response to LDs post

I suspect that might only happen if they know that you have something substantial worth nicking...
A cctv system might make the opportunist thief think, ’is it worth the risk, ?
What if they nick your cameras?....

Yes, I suppose the real advantage of CCTV is that hopefully you can identify them yourself or with the help of social media, I mean the police are not interested in that sort of thing. Social media is quite good at identifying the thieves though.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top