Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 09:39 PM

Re: The Forth Rail Bridge

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Yes it's always been red but it has recently been painted with super duper oil rig paint that should last 25 years without the need for constant repainting.
That won't stop me from saying "It's like painting the Forth bridge" whenever I'm given a thankless task.

I've see a doco about it and I believe they said there's lots of metal work that's not needed.But it's made to look really safe to encourage rail travel after a terrible accident in Scotland.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
That won't stop me from saying "It's like painting the Forth bridge" whenever I'm given a thankless task.

I've see a doco about it and I believe they said there's lots of metal work that's not needed.But it's made to look really safe to encourage rail travel after a terrible accident in Scotland.

That would be the Tay Bridge disaster when the bridge collapsed in a storm as a train was crossing killing all on board. The designer of the Tay Bridge had also submitted a design for the Forth Bridge. His design was not selected.
braveheart
Edinburgh
braveheart is male  braveheart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Well blow me away. I never realised the Forth Bridge was that "golden Gate" colour. I thought it was grey. Great shot. Or is that a recent paint job?
It used to have to be painted every year but it now has a new type of paint and apparently will last for years.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->

Me neither.

Good work braveheart .... nicely framed.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 10:33 AM

Without the trees forming a natural frame, it would be a good photo, but with the trees it is an exceptional one.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 03:28 PM

What I could never understand is that they painted it every year in what looks just like a primer, why not have some nice colours, a nice lime green or something?
braveheart
Edinburgh
braveheart is male  braveheart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Without the trees forming a natural frame, it would be a good photo, but with the trees it is an exceptional one.
Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top