Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 09:17 PM

Petrol changes

I called in a Waitrose garage today to put some petrol in.

Pulled up to the pump, got out of my car, looked for the 'Unleaded,' - it had gone!
Looked two more times - still no Unleaded.
What it did offer though, was something called 'E5'.

I hadn't got a clue what that was, nor B7 which was marked on the next pump, so daren't put any in my tank so asked the lady using the pump next to me if she knew what what it all meant.

When she went in the shop to pay, I went in with her and we asked the chap behind the counter about it.
He all but yawned in my face, obviously bored to tears with answering the same question all day.

This was the result.

How many of you knew the Government has decided to alter all the fuel labelling? !!!

First I knew of it. Not seen anything on the telly, nor in newspapers. There was certainly nothing about it in the garage where I filled up last week.

The shop had some leaflets on the counter explaining about the changes, so I asked if I could have one.
This is what it says:

" E5 (with a circle round it) stands for Ethanol.
The '5' means up to 5% renewable ethanol.

D7 (with a square symbol round it) stands for biodiesel.
The '7' means up to 7% renewable biodiesel.

It also says - Why have new labels been introduced?
To help you choose the right fuel for your vehicle.
The labels also tell you the maximum percentage of the relevant renewable fuel the petrol or diesel contains."

I am still shaking my head in disbelief at this stooooopid new idea! What a waste of money relabelling every garage pump and printing millions of leaflets to give such a totally useless bit of information!

How exactly will it my enhance my life - or anyone else's - knowing my car now has E5 5% renewable ethanol in it's tank?

Am I the only person here who knew nothing about these new rules until today?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 09:34 PM

Re: Petrol changes

Blimey Mups, no I didn't! I haven't seen anything at all on the news about this. Typical government keeping us in the dark. But then when have the government ever been helpful?
Do you think it's Waitrose's error in not labelling their pumps correctly with a kind of subtitle saying "Unleaded". That would be more helpful wouldn't it?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 09:36 PM

What a load of old codswollop Mups, whatever next....
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 09:38 PM

Thanks for posting that Mups, I filled the tank of my car yesterday and there was nothing at all about the new labelling. I bought diesel for the car and unleaded for the lawn mower. Nice to get all the advance warning for something that comes into force 01 September 2019, just two days away!

Now having checked this out there's a website for all the details if anyone wishes to know more:

https://knowyourfuel.campaign.gov.uk

Additional information can be found here, including the date from when the new labelling applies (which doesn't seem to be on the .gov.uk website above):

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/d...nt-fuel-types/
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Blimey Mups, no I didn't! I haven't seen anything at all on the news about this. Typical government keeping us in the dark. But then when have the government ever been helpful?
Do you think it's Waitrose's error in not labelling their pumps correctly with a kind of subtitle saying "Unleaded". That would be more helpful wouldn't it?

That's exactly what I said, Floydy.
Why on earth not put in brackets 'unleaded' as well, so everyone understood?

I guess that is too simple and logical though!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

29-08-2019, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
What a load of old codswollop Mups, whatever next....

Have you seen it up your way yet, Foxy?
The bloke in the garage shop said it came into force about three weeks ago.

Here, I've just googled and found this:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...ome-and-abroad
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

29-08-2019, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Thanks for posting that Mups, I filled the tank of my car yesterday and there was nothing at all about the new labelling. I bought diesel for the car and unleaded for the lawn mower. Nice to get all the advance warning for something that comes into force 01 September 2019, just two days away!

Now having checked this out there's a website for all the details if anyone wishes to know more:

https://knowyourfuel.campaign.gov.uk

We posted links almost at the same moment Baz.

I had never seen any advertising, or heard anything at all about this before today.

They are saying it is " to help us choose the right fuel".
How utterly stupid.
Did we all choose the wrong fuel beforehand then???
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's exactly what I said, Floydy.
Why on earth not put in brackets 'unleaded' as well, so everyone understood?

I guess that is too simple and logical though!
Are the pumps still colour-coded Mups? I.e. Green for unleaded and black for diesel. That would at least clarify things.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

29-08-2019, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Are the pumps still colour-coded Mups? I.e. Green for unleaded and black for diesel. That would at least clarify things.

Yes, they still had either green handles or black, but I wasn't confident enough to fill my tank until I knew for sure what E5 was.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
We posted links almost at the same moment Baz.

I had never seen any advertising, or heard anything at all about this before today.

They are saying it is " to help us choose the right fuel".
How utterly stupid.
Did we all choose the wrong fuel beforehand then???
You can choose what fuel you like but if it's the wrong fuel for the car then there's a safety device in that the filler tube on diesels is a different diameter from that on cars using unleaded. The pump nozzle will not go into the wrong type of fuel tank, so I am advised. As yet no reason to find out so no practical experience of that one, thank goodness.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top