Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 08:25 PM

Our Poor Darling Winston.

I saw this on Facebook today and am not ashamed to say it brought tears to my eyes. There was a lovely photo of this lady's beautiful black Labrador, Winston. But it was the accompanying letter that was inserted underneath that made me cry - and terrified.

Read the following please, it contains vital information for every single dog owner.

Quote from broken-hearted owner of Winston.

Kirsty Lanyon

August 26, at 10.50 AM

Our beautiful boy

Since Friday evening I’ve watched my family be ripped to complete shreds and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. ARMAC did their absolute best for Winston, I’ve no doubt about that. It just wasn’t enough to stop this vile substance from completely taking over and ruining his healthy body.

We went from having a perfectly healthy dog running around, absolutely loving life chasing a football whilst his sister rode her bike, to just 30 minutes later being so poorly he never recovered. I’ll never ever forget the sadness in his eyes and I hope one day when I think of him I see that big goofy face again rather than these horrible memories. I’m torturing myself even though it’s pointless, but I just can’t help it.

I never realised the impact a four-legged furry nobber would have on our lives. My chest is physically hurting. I’ve cried constantly for almost 24 hours and I just can’t stop no matter how hard I try. He should be laying next to me with his head keeping my feet warm as I type this, barking like a loon if anyone walks near our house. And he’s not here.

His 4-year-old sister doesn’t quite understand, hearing her ask over and over why Winston had to go to heaven is horrendous in ways you couldn’t imagine. As for his Dad, my wonderful, stronger than he realises Dave, there are no words to describe his heartbreak and I know I’ll never, ever be able to ease his pain.

And all because some B…...d spat some chewing gum out instead of using the umpteen wheely bins which were out awaiting collection just yards away.

All dog owners need to be aware of the dangers of XYLITOL and how it’s in so many items just lying about your house. Those brownies/cupcakes you made from a packet mix, Full of it. That pizza you got from the takeaway, Full of it. Your toothpaste, pasta, peanut butter, anything that says sugar free, it’s probably in there as well. But it won’t be labelled XYLITOL, it’s labelled ‘’SUGAR ALCOHOL’’.

In memory of our beloved Winston, check your cupboards, check everything you give to your Dog. And keep as close an eye on them as possible when out walking. We’d never heard of it, so when our boy started vomiting and then collapsed within 30 minutes of getting home from his last ever walk, our last ever walk as a family of 4, we were clueless.

IF THAT HAPPENS, GET THEM TO AN EMERGENCY VET AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE.
As even then, like for Winston and us, it may already be too late.

Unquote

Wasn’t that so so sad. Now I knew about XYLITOL,and I am always checking ingredients when I buy a packet of Biscuits in case one or a bit of biscuit falls off the plate and one of my two greedy guts get to it before I can stop them.
But I never knew XYLITOL was also in some foodstuffs, labelled as SUGAR ALCOHOL.

It’s really scary the things that are deadly for our dogs.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 08:56 PM

Re: Our Poor Darling Winston.

SG, That is so sad but Labradors are well known for being dustbins. My Labrador was always looking for food and would eat anything.

I didn’t realise chewing gum was so bad, l thought chocolate was the worst.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 09:08 PM

We are all gum chewers but we have had it drummed into each of us by my husband to dispose of it correctly, he became aware of the dangers years ago and has been a very vocal person against just throwing it down. Another thing drinks cans which can catch all sorts of small creatures and kill them.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 09:14 PM

What a very sad tale.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 10:25 PM

That's such a sad story
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 07:23 AM

That is really sad.

Thank god I don't chew gum, my OH does, but he wraps it up in tissue then puts it into the bin.

You don't realise what's in these things, biscuits! my Grandad always gave his Dog a Rich Tea Biscuit.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 08:07 AM

Yes, it is terribly sad. As I said, I already knew of XYLITOL, thanks to reading about it on the Pets Forum on here, (and for which I will be forever grateful) but have to admit, have only ever been looking automatically at ingredient on everything, for XYLITOL. I never even realised I should also be very aware of the harm and danger in the ingredient known as SUGAR ALCOHOL.

Art, I know only too well and agree with you about Labbies. We had them all our lives until we retired, and know only too well the reason they are known as hoovers!! they will eat anything!

I would like to know though, why manufacturers would ever be allowed to add such horror ingredients into food that can kill animals??? Not every poor dog has owners who are vigilant about what goes into their mouths. It's really scary.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 08:37 AM

What a really sad story to read. Anyone who owns a dog or has ever owned one would fully understand the terrible sadness of what happened to Winston.

For anyone who doesn't know of the dangers of xylitol the websites below have details. The first one, although American does give details of products containing xylitol and it's surprising how many products do contain this deadly ingredient. I would never have thought about chewing gum for instance. The other two websites give further information that may be found useful:

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-...ugar-substitue

https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-adv...poisoning-dogs

https://ourpetshealth.com/info/xylit...ree-but-deadly
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 12:33 PM

My Lab misses out on so much because she's a mobile waste disposal unit.

Anything, and I mean ANYTHING is fair game if she thinks it's food or might have been food at some point.

When she was younger she cost hundreds of pounds in vet fees from "Dietary Indiscretion" as they politely put it, roughly translated means she's eaten shit again.

I tried for a while to muzzle her, it stopped the scavenging but she could still suck up anything runny, she even managed to get a dead shrew half in, half out of the muzzle.

So now she spends all her time outside on the lead. It's a shame for her but eventually she would have killed herself.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 03:54 PM

As a diabetic it makes me wonder, if it can kill a dog so quickly how can we be sure it won't harm people?

I will be looking for it on anything I eat or drink, and writing to manufacturers to explain why I will no longer be buying their product!
If we all did the same perhaps we could stop them using this sweetener!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top