Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2019, 02:31 PM

Re: kennel owners chat

I always though most of the 'donkey work' was done by volunteers, not the owners.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2019, 03:38 PM

I was annoyed with the kennels I used recently when staying at the cottage. The owner couldn't understand simple feeding instructions, and withheld the biscuits intended for Holly's breakfast and lunch, which meant she was ravenous when I got her back, having been given just one sachet of wet food to last her all day. I'd got her booked in for a second day and was insistent that they followed instructions, and was then given a dirty bowl to take home with me.

Holly doesn't always eat her biscuits when given them in the morning and prefers to have when she feels like it, which suits me too. I then give her the main meal round about this time (4, 4.30).

At least when she goes to her usual day carer here at home I am listened to. And if I put in a bowl it is cleaned.

When we go away next week I might book her into a place she stayed in before, so I can go for viewings. Unless I can find someone else, who can sit with her.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2019, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I was annoyed with the kennels I used recently when staying at the cottage. The owner couldn't understand simple feeding instructions, and withheld the biscuits intended for Holly's breakfast and lunch, which meant she was ravenous when I got her back, having been given just one sachet of wet food to last her all day. I'd got her booked in for a second day and was insistent that they followed instructions, and was then given a dirty bowl to take home with me.

Holly doesn't always eat her biscuits when given them in the morning and prefers to have when she feels like it, which suits me too. I then give her the main meal round about this time (4, 4.30).

At least when she goes to her usual day carer here at home I am listened to. And if I put in a bowl it is cleaned.

When we go away next week I might book her into a place she stayed in before, so I can go for viewings. Unless I can find someone else, who can sit with her.

Jazzi, if my dogs weren't fed and cared for as I asked, no way would I book them back in there!
You are paying a good fee for Holly's care, and her needs should be met.

One place I worked at never even gave dogs their medications even though the owners had left supplies and instructions.
He would never show anyone around either.
Owners were mad to leave their dogs with someone like that, yet they do.

May I ask, when you book Holly in, do you ask for a tour of the place first? Do you actually see the kennel part she will be put in, or only the reception area?

If someone neglects to carry out basic things like feeding sufficiently and dirty food bowls, I would seriously wonder what else they get up to.

She is only little, can you not find places to holiday where she can go with you?

This Dogs Trust site is a good place to start, and they have thousands of places. Just search the area you fancy going to and see what they can offer.
I am not sure, but I think a small percentage of the fees also go to help dogs dumped in rescue too, so not only could Holly have a fun holiday, it helps the homeless hounds too.

https://www.sykescottages.co.uk/en-p...SAAEgJbBPD_BwE
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2019, 04:44 PM

unfortunately there are too many kennels as mentioned.

Longdogs

We had paid staff only as well as working hard ourselves. How can one see hand find out what needs doing if you don't do the work as well. When we shut for 2 weeks in November then out came the paint pots for places we could not do while we had animals in

Also we worked as well,volunteers they are first of all a complete waste of time and take no responsibility . We did try one, first of all she didn't turn up, then turned up late and only wanted to play with the dogs not do the dirty work of cleaning up after them. So never again did we take on anyone else as a volunteer.

We did originally have school kids on work experience for a good few years with the teachers and parents checking us out first.and council approval. We had some really great kids for a good few years from local schools. while with us teachers were popping in to see how they were getting on and so did Phil our inspector( mainly for a cuppa I suspect),

Then in came the must do this and must abide by that brigade from the council. Form filling CRB checks or whatever they are called. Proof we had medical first aid know how or go and have training ourselves . Rules like the child must be at ALL times accompanied by someone of the same sex. That may be ok if they are in an office but not in a boarding kennels. We had to provide them with these protective clothing etc etc and eventually we had to say enough is enough and stopped doing it.So many forms to fill in and insisting we took out insurance on each individual child ,even though we had third party- kennel and others to cover, that was not good enough

We have found where we live a kennels that has the same motivation, but yes we did look at others, but we knew what to ask about and what to look for. Most were not what we expected.

If they didn't meet the standard that we had then no way would we use them, the council inspectors don't know what to inspect only working of tick sheets. How on earth do they know about how kennels operate if they have never worked in one. The last ones we had when Phil left on had only monitored traffic noise before, and as I said my mate had one that was a food inspectors. They are as usefull as an a broken wheel chair.
That is where the problem lies.

We operated on when open welcome to come in and look around in a just turn up basis, with one of use to answer any questions .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2019, 05:30 PM

Mups, she is coming with me! But there are times I need to be on my own. Next week I will be hoping to do some house rental viewings, and it won't always be practical to have her with me, especially if my sister is not available. And no, I didn't view the kennels section.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2019, 06:04 PM

Jazzi all i will say, understand what you have experienced is to make sure they have a home boarding licence ,not one from a company they belong to Insist on seeing it or report them to the council they are not only breaking the law but your dog is at risk.

or put another way if the council inspectors got wind of one and did a check, not only would they be up before the courts but the dogs staying there would be removed to the council facilities and you might loose your dog

It has happened believe me. Don't forget we knew more than most being in the business. I say this in your interests though most tend to think otherwise
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2019, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Mups, she is coming with me! But there are times I need to be on my own. Next week I will be hoping to do some house rental viewings, and it won't always be practical to have her with me, especially if my sister is not available. And no, I didn't view the kennels section.

Sorry if I misunderstood, Jazzi. I thought you were taking her back their when you go away again next week.

That link I sent it pretty good though, should you ever feel like looking around another time.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top