Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
precious
Brisbane Australia
precious is male  precious has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 01:52 AM

Do we really need to read the classics?

Yes of course we do.
Here's just a few to whet your appetite:
Dante's Inferno
Augustine's Confessions
Moby Dick
A Christmas Carol
The Great Gatsby
Crime and Punishment
Brothers Karamazov
Animal Farm

Reading books like this helps us reflect on our place in the world. Are we on the right track? How can we learn from the mistakes of the characters in those books? The importance of choosing a moral code to live by. The meaning of our lives. Reading the classics gives nutrition to the soul. Like going to a classy restaurant. Reading books like Mills and Boon is like eating at Mcdonalds. Escapism. Our soul slowly dies from lack of care.

Ive still got important books on my bucket list like Huxley's Brave New World. We are never too old to grow both intellectually and spiritually. Whilst ive still got my precious eyesight I will continue in this vein. Lord have mercy!
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 02:56 AM

Re: Do we really need to read the classics?

You should add Graham Greene to your list.He was a staunch Catholic and a lot of his books relate to that.
precious
Brisbane Australia
precious is male  precious has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
You should add Graham Greene to your list.He was a staunch Catholic and a lot of his books relate to that.
Excellent advice.
Power and the Glory. what a book!
brilliant actually.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 07:59 AM

I would add ;-

John Donne
Tolkien
Kenneth Grahame
Tolstoy
Turgenev
Betjeman
Kipling

and

Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde (an excellent observer of social mores)!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 08:48 AM

I don't read Mills & Boon but like the occasional chick lit. I'll stick to my preferred genre of reading, rather than the above suggestions. A good mystery, crime, suspense...they all keep me amused and entertained.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 08:57 AM

In my opinion avoiding crap is much more important than seeking out the so called classics which in itself rules out a good number of "classics" from the get-go.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 09:03 AM

Oh precious, you are sooooo clever reading books like that with big words in them. I am very impressed.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 09:28 AM

I've read a few of the classics and have to admit I can't see why they are classics, I've read some modern books that are much better. Books from any era can help us reflect on our place in the world and challenge us to better ourselves.

I'm more of a fan of murder mystery, Psychological drama and dystopian horror than the classics.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I've read a few of the classics and have to admit I can't see why they are classics, I've read some modern books that are much better. Books from any era can help us reflect on our place in the world and challenge us to better ourselves.

I'm more of a fan of murder mystery, Psychological drama and dystopian horror than the classics.
I agree.

Most of the classics are actually shit but we like to pretend we like them. The only classic I have read and really liked is war & Peace. Most of the prize winning books are rubbish too. it's a bit like the King's new clothes I'm afraid.
precious
Brisbane Australia

05-09-2019, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I agree.

Most of the classics are actually shit but we like to pretend we like them. The only classic I have read and really liked is war & Peace. Most of the prize winning books are rubbish too. it's a bit like the King's new clothes I'm afraid.
I find it hard to believe you read War and peace. sorry longdogs

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top