Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 08:18 PM

Re: 9/11 Anniversary

RIP to all those souls. What a wicked world we have become.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 08:38 PM

I visited the 9/11 Memorial site with a friend last fall. Living in New York State at the time, and now, it hit so very close to home. When we heard the first plane hit,then the second, we knew we were under attack.

It is a somber and yet remarkable sight to visit. We each have our own reminders of that day, so very sad. I can't say I'm glad I went, and I will not go again. But my friend wanted to see it, and show respect. That is something we can all continue to do for those who died that day helping others.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 12:34 AM

We visited the 9/11 memorial at Eagle Rock Reservation, New Jersey in 2012. A beautiful and dignified place to remember those lost. I took this picture at night with the Manhattan skyline in the distance.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	eagle rock.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	10654  
Ethel
England
Ethel is female  Ethel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 09:20 AM

18 year gosh I was still working part time then, I came in put radio on and sat eat my sandwich, the news reader said we have breaking news a plane has gone into one of the twin tower, I put sky news on and could not believe what I was watching, then the second plane hit I screamed so so sad. Those poor people and their families.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
I visited the 9/11 Memorial site with a friend last fall. Living in New York State at the time, and now, it hit so very close to home. When we heard the first plane hit,then the second, we knew we were under attack.

It is a somber and yet remarkable sight to visit. We each have our own reminders of that day, so very sad. I can't say I'm glad I went, and I will not go again. But my friend wanted to see it, and show respect. That is something we can all continue to do for those who died that day helping others.
We also visited the site a few years ago, as part of our 'tour' of NY. I expected to just walk round and take a few photographs but the fact that I ended up in tears completely took me by surprise.

This is printed on the front of one of the fire trucks.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 10:03 AM

It's still so difficult to comprehend that this actually happened. I saw it unfolding live on TV in my tea break at work and saw the second plane hit the other building. It was a surreal moment; nobody could believe what had just happened.

I will be visiting the memorial in New York City next year.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
We also visited the site a few years ago, as part of our 'tour' of NY. I expected to just walk round and take a few photographs but the fact that I ended up in tears completely took me by surprise.
Originally Posted by Floydy ->
It's still so difficult to comprehend that this actually happened. I saw it unfolding live on TV in my tea break at work and saw the second plane hit the other building. It was a surreal moment; nobody could believe what had just happened.

I will be visiting the memorial in New York City next year.
The visual and emotional enormity of the event seems to take your breath away, and leave sadness in its place.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
The visual and emotional enormity of the event seems to take your breath away, and leave sadness in its place.
Yes, I can well imagine.
It's a very important date in my U.S. trip.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 08:19 PM

Al Qaeda's most fundamental error in 9/11 was that they lost their battle and war the moment they stormed the first first cockpit. In their unforgivable and evil (in the secular sense) plan, they forgot that nothing brings out the fortitude and character of the American people like a crisis.

Like a family, with all of it's faults and bickering, we will come together like no other when things are rough - especially when our other family members are threatened or our core values are under attack.

They lost when a young husband an father, in league with a group of their fellow passengers, stormed the hijacked cockpit and said to the others, "Let's roll."

The lost when the firefighters went up those stairs when everyone and everything was coming down.

They lost when people stopped everything to help anyone and everyone around them - setting aside their own safety.

They lost when the Queen of England had played - and sang - the anthem of another nation, "The Star Spangled Banner."

They lost when hundreds, including my husband, a commercial airline pilot flying at the time, became hyper-focused and executed safety plans like no other time in his life, to ensure their passengers would land safely, setting aside all thought of any distractions, including their families who were on the ground.

They lost when people like me proudly hung their American flags and unflinchingly went back to work, sent kids to school, purchased airline tickets, and went on with the business of life in a free democracy - the very next day.

They even lost when people heartbreakingly jumped out of windows CHOSE the means of their own deaths.

Most of all, they lost because their primitive hearts and minds are enslaved and cannot understand the compassion and resolve that comes with being a free people. For that reason, they will always lose.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 10:12 PM

Your post made me weep, Surfermom!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top