Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 09:05 AM

Church Insurance

Whilst on our evening constitutional yesterday, we noticed that the wall and gates of our local church had been knocked down (I'm guessing by an HGV seeing as the pillars are about 7ft high).

That got me wondering whether churches have to buy building insurance and whether they are covered for 'Acts of God'?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 09:20 AM

Re: Church Insurance

So far as I am aware, they do have to have insurance to cover all eventualities.
Obviously once an insurance claim is made, the repayments rise, as does everyone elses' which is probably the reason for raising church funds when lead roofs etc . were being stripped and stolen not so many years ago.
The cost against major insurance claims would be pretty high coming out of the individual church accounts (as I understand it) .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 09:21 AM

Poor blokes probably laid dead in his cab having being struck by a lightning bolt.....
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
So far as I am aware, they do have to have insurance to cover all eventualities.
Obviously once an insurance claim is made, the repayments rise, as does everyone elses' which is probably the reason for raising church funds when lead roofs etc . were being stripped and stolen not so many years ago.
The cost against major insurance claims would be pretty high coming out of the individual church accounts (as I understand it) .

Or, it's possible the CofE HQ (presuming it's a CofE church) organise insurance for it's 16,000 church buildings. Don't they own schools and sheltered housing too?

Here's a couple of interesting links, I'll look into it some more later ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_House,_Westminster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proper...rch_of_England
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Poor blokes probably laid dead in his cab having being struck by a lightning bolt.....

Yes, I'm just imagining the scenario if, for instance in the unlikely event of a tornado or an earthquake. If the insurance company argued that it was an act of God, then the church couldn't really dispute the fact.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

14-09-2019, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I cannot imagine the costs involved when you think some churches house solid gold statues. I just Googled and there is indeed such a thing as church insurance.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 06:48 PM

I think the individual churches are responsible for most things. Vicars wages, heating, electricity, etc. Our church had a new church hall and kitchen built plus the church itself renovated just a few years back. It all came from the congregation by donations and wills.

Must admit, when a long standing congregation member dies , expectations are high

My dear sister has bequeathed a third of her £million house to a Cathedral ! That's sister's for you
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That got me wondering whether churches have to buy building insurance and whether they are covered for 'Acts of God'?
Interesting that god let it/made it happen........
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 07:03 PM

And lightning conductors on the roof? Why?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Whilst on our evening constitutional yesterday, we noticed that the wall and gates of our local church had been knocked down (I'm guessing by an HGV seeing as the pillars are about 7ft high).

Notre Dame, then your local kirk? Do I detect a pattern here? Is the big man with the white beard striking his vengeance on the sinners who attend these churches?

No doubt the vicar will nick the lead off the roof and sell it before claiming off the insurance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top