Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 01:23 PM

Re: New theory on big bang!

Originally Posted by big ben ->
It has often been said that we know more about the universe than we do of the bottoms of our oceans. Thinking of this I tend to agree. I am in no way scientifically minded regards things beyond our own plant but Will someone ever be able to tell us what was there before the Big Bang?
It is possible it was the big contraction BB!
Donkeyman!
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
If that thought gives you comfort Savvy, ok! But l think humans only
have these thought because we cant accept the thought that we
are insignificant and expendable?
However the idea that ' time' can run backwards is a very interesting
concept, the way l see it is that if we travel faster than the speed of
light we will eventually catch up with the images we projected in
previous years, but whether those images will be tangible l doubt?
Its very interesting though isnt it??
Donkeyman!
Oh, I need no comforting. I would have thought that my comment would have been received in the tongue in cheek way it was written. I have fully accepted my own mortality and realize, that on a Universal scale, or as far as that goes, even on a local scale, I am no more important to the grand scheme of things than the dust I walk on. In fact, the dust may well be immortal.

As a "non-believer" I have no expectation of any type of life after death, and I am fine with that and I appreciate the one shot, even if I follow Mark Twain's explanation of death, he said, without me looking up the exact quote, that he had been dead for millions of years before he was alive, and seemed to suffer no ill effects from it.

I do however find that the possibility of time running in reverse is an interesting concept. I have read some of the explanations, written by the top scientists for public consumption, but I have to admit that I do not have the math or physics background to be able to wrap my mind around the science. I can follow them just far enough to be intrigued. My education background will allow me to follow a Carl Sagan explanation, but I have trouble with a Stephen Hawking or Albert Einstein explanation.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Savvy ->
Oh, I need no comforting. I would have thought that my comment would have been received in the tongue in cheek way it was written. I have fully accepted my own mortality and realize, that on a Universal scale, or as far as that goes, even on a local scale, I am no more important to the grand scheme of things than the dust I walk on. In fact, the dust may well be immortal.

As a "non-believer" I have no expectation of any type of life after death, and I am fine with that and I appreciate the one shot, even if I follow Mark Twain's explanation of death, he said, without me looking up the exact quote, that he had been dead for millions of years before he was alive, and seemed to suffer no ill effects from it.

I do however find that the possibility of time running in reverse is an interesting concept. I have read some of the explanations, written by the top scientists for public consumption, but I have to admit that I do not have the math or physics background to be able to wrap my mind around the science. I can follow them just far enough to be intrigued. My education background will allow me to follow a Carl Sagan explanation, but I have trouble with a Stephen Hawking or Albert Einstein explanation.

I stand corrected on the comfort remark Savvy, from the rest of the
above l gather that we have similar views and understanding about
the universe?
I also cannot understand Hawkins language at all but try to work
out my own ideas using any information that l CAN understand ?
For instance l have a question about the speed of light being used
as a constant in scientific formulae, because the theory of black
holes proposes that the high gravity field prevents the light from
being emitted from the field, if this is so then surely that infers that
the speed of light is variable?
So many questions??
Donkeyman!
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 03:21 PM

I think that's light in a vacuum, it travels slower in glass
which is why a lens works.

The gravity in a black hole slows or stops the light. I
wonder if light that does escape keeps travelling slowly
or does it speed up?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

15-02-2020, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by biffo ->
I think that's light in a vacuum, it travels slower in glass
which is why a lens works.

The gravity in a black hole slows or stops the light. I
wonder if light that does escape keeps travelling slowly
or does it speed up?
Hence my question biffo, how can they use the speed of light as
constant in formulae??
Donkeyman!
PS. The theory of relativity is based on a constant speed of light??
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 04:23 PM

The theory of relativity is based on a constant speed of light??
Eistein himself agreed that his famous E=MC^2 equation doesn't hold true in 100% of all cases because of the possibility that the speed of light isn't constant in all possible circumstances.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

15-02-2020, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Eistein himself agreed that his famous E=MC^2 equation doesn't hold true in 100% of all cases because of the possibility that the speed of light isn't constant in all possible circumstances.
So what was the effect of that on his theory Percy?
Donkeyman!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 05:30 PM

So what was the effect of that on his theory Percy?
Donkeyman!
Search me Donks, it was a long time ago when I heard that but it does smack of PMA if you ask me.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

15-02-2020, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Search me Donks, it was a long time ago when I heard that but it does smack of PMA if you ask me.
I also read that Percy, also some time ago, but it explained that it
would only create small errors in the calculations? But l cant see
that? Because if gravity can stop light dead, surely that means
the speed of light can vary from zero up to the speed of light?
Which is a huge difference!
Perhaps we need a mathematician to work it out?
Donkeyman!

Edit, what isnPMA by the way!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 08:49 AM

I have given some thought about distant galaxies moving away ever faster. To me, that can mean only one thing: In order for distant galaxies to speed up, then there must be some force which is attracting (pulling) those galaxies. In the past few decades, much has been theorized about "dark matter", which supposedly makes up a sizeable percentage of all matter in the universe.

I subscribe to the theory that there are an endless series of collapsing and expanding (big bangs).

When I am out in some wilderness, devoid of trees and with no man-made light, I look up at the stars and imagine that I am on some far away planet. As I look, I see one particular star (any star at random) and I imagine that that star is our sun. Wow ! Talk about feeling insignificant !

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top