Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 08:02 PM

Re: new shoots already

My ceanothus is already flowering which is slightly worrying! Especially as our season is around 3 weeks behind the south of England, not normally out here till around May.

Some primulas flowering but I would expect that. Have had some flowers on alpine campanulas and aubretia all winter. Also some trailing lobelias planted in a pot a couple years ago have been in full flower for weeks! Crazy!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 11:40 PM

I saw a tree full of cherry blossom today. My lobelias usually die in the Autumn, they are still green but not yet flowering. It's nice but not right.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I saw a tree full of cherry blossom today. My lobelias usually die in the Autumn, they are still green but not yet flowering. It's nice but not right.

Yes, I've seen two beautiful blossom trees this week Annie.
I do love to see them.
Be a shame if this wind blows all the blossom off.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 12:25 AM

When I bought this house the front and rear garden was full of roses including a massive rambling rose. I chainsawed the lot, the following year I had the best rose display in the suburb.

As the chainsaw was such a failure I attacked them with a mattock - that got rid of them. Roses are very pretty for a short time but the rest of they year they are just prickles. Dislike them very much.

Not a view shared by many, while I was chainsawing and mattocking them I had a stream of people asking for cuttings!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
When I bought this house the garden was full of roses including a massive rambling rose. I chainsawed the lot, the following year I had the best rose display in the suburb.

As the chainsaw was such a failure I attacked them with a mattock - that got rid of them. Roses are very pretty for a short time but the rest of they year they are just prickles. Dislike them very much.

Not a view shared by many, while I was chainsawing and mattocking them I had a stream of people asking for cuttings!

Oh you brute, Bruce!

I love roses, especially strongly perfumed ones, and could never destroy them like that.

Is a mattock like a pick axe? I've never heard that before?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Oh you brute, Bruce!

I love roses, especially strongly perfumed ones, and could never destroy them like that.

Is a mattock like a pick axe? I've never heard that before?
Similar to a pick axe, mine is an old heavy one but similar in shape to this, they are a very useful tool in the garden.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top