Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 09:08 AM

Re: Voltarol Yes or No?

Thanks again for your comments and advice. Another trip to the Doc is a must I think.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I always check before taking or using any medication. Some of that type of medication reduces the effects of medication I already take which I had not realised.

Voltarol is also known by another name, diclofenac, so check with your doctor, pharmacist or on the NHS website for side effects it may have with any existing medication you may already be taking:

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/diclofenac/
Diclofenac is in the form of tablets or capsules.
Voltarol, or the Voltarol Marge uses, is applied topically.

The active ingredient will therefore enter the system in different ways and with different results.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 12:50 PM

I have very occasional back spasms which can last a couple of days. Back when it was available without prescription, Diclofenac capsules would sort it almost immediately. Since it was banned from over-the-counter- sales, I have tried Voltarol cream, but it has been totally ineffective. The only thing which touches it, is Ibruprofen, but it takes a long time (usually overnight) before it has any effect.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Diclofenac is in the form of tablets or capsules.
Voltarol, or the Voltarol Marge uses, is applied topically.

The active ingredient will therefore enter the system in different ways and with different results.
All I know as a certainty is when having problems with a badly swollen arthritic knee joint, so bad I could hardly walk, I asked the GP for Voltarol. She advised it could react with existing medication, for high blood pressure and a heart problem, by negating the positive effects of those tablets.

Solve the knee problem with its obvious problem but perhaps then unknowingly have high blood pressure, which had previously caused a heart attack? I just took the advice and was prescribed another type of gel without that risk. Another one I cannot use (or take) with my existing medication is anything containing Ibuprofen.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 03:50 PM

It's interesting to hear that a cream can affect existing medication (tablets) I have never even considered it before.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's interesting to hear that a cream can affect existing medication (tablets) I have never even considered it before.
I wondered the same but the GP and pharmacists since then have said that it is absorbed into our bodies and systems, so can affect existing medication, in the same way that tablets or liquids can. Who am I to argue with that?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 04:05 PM

I wondered the same but the GP and pharmacists since then have said that it is absorbed into our bodies and systems, so can affect existing medication, in the same way that tablets or liquids can. Who am I to argue with that?
It's obvious really but I have just never thought about it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 04:43 PM

True, Baz. Same as if you taking say Ibruprofin for example, don't use the cream as well as it is almost like doubling up.

The problems I came up against in the past were that if you want to try some herbal products, or homeopathy, the GP's (and Pharmacists) are not trained in these type of remedies, so cannot usually tell you how their drugs will react with them.

One day I came across an interesting book about Drug/Herb/ and even Vitamin reactions together.
Some remedies can reduce the actions of drugs, and others can increase them, so it's best to do some homework before mixing things.
So often I hear someone say . . "But it's only natural, it can't hurt you", and they don't understand it can depend on what else you are taking as well.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Has anyone any experience of Voltarol? My wife has Osteoarthritis in one knee which is extremely painful yet apparently not painful enough to qualify for an operation. I'm thinking Voltarol must be worth a try but is it?
As an anti inflammatory gel, yes, but not in tablet form unless your GP prescribes a proton pump inhibitor to protect your alimentary canal (gut) as the tablets can promote acid reflux.
I am prescribes lansoprazole alongside the gel as I have reflux to start with and the gel certainly does help to some degree.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2020, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Thanks again for your comments and advice. Another trip to the Doc is a must I think.

Any further news yet, EZ?

How's Joan's knee now?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top