Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 11:50 AM

Walkers in trainers rescued in Ben Nevis blizzard

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...lands-51447226

Rescuers said four people helped from Ben Nevis were lucky to be alive.

They said the group who were caught in blizzard conditions had "no ice axes, no crampons and as far as we are aware no maps". Three of them were wearing trainers.

Lochaber Mountain Rescue Team found them near the summit of the mountain (1,345 metres/4,411 ft).

All four were taken by helicopter from part-way down the mountain to be checked over at Belford Hospital in Fort William.

The rescue team described the weather as "horrendous" with the wind chill about -20C.
Stupid is as stupid does .....
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 11:58 AM

Re: Walkers in trainers rescued in Ben Nevis blizzard

unbelievable, why would you do that? Trainers? No equipment? It's beyond stupid. They ought to be billed for the cost of that rescue.
Idiots.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
unbelievable, why would you do that? Trainers? No equipment? It's beyond stupid. They ought to be billed for the cost of that rescue.
Idiots.
Hi

Spot on LQ.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 12:03 PM

As bad as the man out surfing on the south coast in the storm who got swept away and had to be rescued by a lifeboat...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 12:24 PM

I don't have a problem with people wanting to test themselves against the elements and climb mountains in winter, and I always run and climb in trainers (not in the winter though) I don't think it mattered in this case what they had on their feet. But to go out at this time of year without taking the right kit is just stupid. If you want to put your own life at risk that's fine, but to put the lives of the rescuers at risk is just outright selfish and irresponsible and they should be punished.....Perhaps made to clean up all the rubbish up there in the summer....
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 12:47 PM

This makes me so blooming angry, our men have to put their own lives at risk to save these idiots. We all knew the storm was coming and going to be a bad one…………..So Why?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Idiots.
I agree. But, if they had no climbing kit, I doubt if they could remotely afford the cost of a helicopter rescue.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I agree. But, if they had no climbing kit, I doubt if they could remotely afford the cost of a helicopter rescue.
They damned well would if I was in power....every penny,if it took them 20 years.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 01:04 PM

Should have just left them to it. Seriously.

A few corpses collected when the weather improves would send a message to other idiots.

And if anyone thinks I'm not serious then you're WRONG.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 01:04 PM

There aren't many photos but this one is representative:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top