Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:44 AM

Re: Early onset of alzheimers ?

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have been doing that sort of thing for years !

Me too!
Also always losing my specs and finding them in random places

I think too if your mind is on something else and you are doing things on automatic pilot and then later you think, oh, I don't rmember doing that..? Like when you are driving a very familiar route and thinking about something and then suddenly realise you are home!

I would agree with what the others have said, Bakerman, go and get checked out and put your mind at rest
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
Me too!
Also always losing my specs and finding them in random places

I think too if your mind is on something else and you are doing things on automatic pilot and then later you think, oh, I don't rmember doing that..? Like when you are driving a very familiar route and thinking about something and then suddenly realise you are home!

I would agree with what the others have said, Bakerman, go and get checked out and put your mind at rest
Some excellent points here. I had not thought about 'automatic pilot'. it occurs to me that I am often lost in thought and doing some minor thing at the same time.
Anyway, I'll ask my doctor when I see her next time. Provided I can remember to ask.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:54 AM

I thought about something to write bakerman......but no! It's gone now.........
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Some excellent points here. I had not thought about 'automatic pilot'. it occurs to me that I am often lost in thought and doing some minor thing at the same time.
Anyway, I'll ask my doctor when I see her next time. Provided I can remember to ask.
Writing your question down is the answer to that. However, you then have to remember where you wrote it and to take that piece of paper with you!

Best of luck!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:58 AM

My concern is because when I'm chatting to someone I find what I'm about to say literally dissolves away ...... I then cant remember what I was going to say . Also I forget names and if I'm asked a question like a cross word answer or name of something it can take hours for the answer or I look it up on Google

Hey ho
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 11:05 AM

This forgetting lark has been happening to me for several years now, usually the key word in a sentence. I was tested about a year ago, the pass mark is 8/10, I got 9/10. I'm told it is just forgetfulness of old age. And talking to friends, it seems we're all about the same.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by cuphalffull ->
This forgetting lark has been happening to me for several years now, usually the key word in a sentence. I was tested about a year ago, the pass mark is 8/10, I got 9/10. I'm told it is just forgetfulness of old age. And talking to friends, it seems we're all about the same.
That's why I like the forum, it gives me time to think of that big word that sums up exactly what I want to say....
And on TV quiz shows I can usually think of the answer to most of the questions.....about half an hour afterwards....

And as for misplaced items bakerman, I have allotted special places for specs, keys, wallet etc, just remember to put things back after use....It takes practice, and getting used to where something lives, but it works for me...
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 11:55 AM

Looking at the responses, in this thread, I can own up to having most of the memory lapses described.

It's fairly comforting, when I go up to the golf club to play with my likewise elderly pals, that they, pretty much, have all the same experiences.

I get a lot out of being able to chat to others, of advancing years, about it!

Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 12:20 PM

Reminds me of the joke where the 2 old codgers were playing golf and one of them says, my long distance eye sight isn't so hot these days, I might need a bit of help. So he drives off and asks,
"Did you see where my ball went?"
"Yes "
"Where'd it go?"
"I can't remember!"
Glanny
N.Ireland

22-02-2020, 12:25 PM

I have set places also where I put down my specs but sometimes they go rogue...

Ditto with my mind going blank in the middle of a conversation and quiz answers that are there but just won't come out! Aargghhh! And also forgetting names. An old friend of ours used to say to people he bumped into, "I am getting to the stage where I can't remember my own name so I'm afraid you're going to have to remind me of yours..!" Good one!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top