Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 01:31 AM

The best film ever made ?

The Shawshank Redemption

This is no ordinary film about life in prison. It has layers upon layers of meaning that takes a bit of thought to unravel the deeper meaning. (rather like the layers of an onion).

Written by the great novelist, Steven King. Staring Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman. In my opinion, it is one of the best, if not THE best films ever made.

What say you ?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1000.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	11685  
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 03:36 AM

Re: The best film ever made ?

I agree BM. It is a masterpiece. It's been showcased here before and I get the impression that it is, by no means, a popular favourite here. To each their own but it is my favourite along with the original Day of the Jackal and anything with Cate Blanchett. My wife, son and I have watched Shawshank probably seven times ?.. maybe more.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 07:01 AM

One of my favourites as well - never knew it was written by Stephen King though.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
One of my favourites as well - never knew it was written by Stephen King though.
King's original was " Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" which was a short story or novella. I have never seen the book myself. Not sure whether he wrote the screenplay for the film.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 08:21 AM

It was OK I guess, but once was enough for me.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 08:36 AM

I have watched it loads of time .
I love hearing Morgan Freeman’s narrative .
He has the voice of a gentle God .
( He has actually played God in at least one film )
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 09:14 AM

Shawshanks is good I will give you that, so many good movies out there but the one that I keep returning to when I am sitting and a little down is You Got Mail great actors great storyline good music and there's always a tear in my eye at the end plus I can finish a large bottle of fizzy stuff and loads of quavers and various crinkley crisps whilst watching.

All in all its my own personal chillout movie its not to fast its not to slow.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have watched it loads of time .
I love hearing Morgan Freeman’s narrative .
He has the voice of a gentle God .
( He has actually played God in at least one film )

In my opinion, Morgan Freeman "made" this film. He was the perfect Ellis Boyd "Red" Redding.

At the deepest level, the film is about 'hope' and 'enduring friendship'. Hope is what saved Andy from a life of total despair,. And, Andy eventually convinced Red of the power of hope. In fact, the last two words in the film were 'I hope'.

keezoy, The screenwriter for The Shawshank Redemption was Frank Darabont, who also wrote the screenplay for The Green Mile, another magnificent piece of film making.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 09:51 AM

Seen it a couple of times and will happily see it again.

The best film ever made?

No idea, I don't watch many. I remember certain movies for reasons like where & why & who with. I couldn't begin to compare them.
bakerman
Mexico

25-02-2020, 11:16 AM

I found it interesting that warden "Hadley" , is spite of his professed Christianity, was the ultimate evil. Ironically, far more evil than any of the inmates. A half dozen times during the film, warden "Hadley" made reference to his Christianity.
two interesting segments of the film were the needle-point sign on his wall; "His judgement cometh and that right soon". This foretold a judgement, but at the time we did not suspect that the judgement was to be warden "Hadley's" judgement.
And when Hadley went rushing to his safe and opened up what he thought was the record of his laundered scheming, it turned out to be The Holy Bible. First, Hadley saw a note from Andy saying, "Warden, You were right. Salvation lay within". He next flipped though The Bible and it opened onto the book, "Exodus"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top