Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 09:23 AM

Rise of the Far Right.

What really scares me in today’s political scene, is the rise of the far right which seems to be happening all over the Europe and elsewhere. Just listening to a discussion about Vox in Spain and, of course, we have the ERG and Farage in England.( In Scotland we still have to contend with sectarianism in certain areas with its far right Unionist connotations).
You would think people would have learned of the dangers of embracing the extreme wings of both right and left.
There are a lot of far right posters, and a few far left, on these forums and I would be interested to hear why you think that is the answer rather than seek the sprit of compromise and internationalism?
Again, constructive comments please.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 09:32 AM

Re: Rise of the Far Right.

Here we see the distorted viewpoint on the lefty-liberal-remainers, where anyone who stands up for their country is automatically labelled far right, nazis, and so on

Analysis of the voting pattern in the EU Referendum shows that most of the support for Leave came from traditional Labour voters, who would be shocked and insulted to be called fascists

I thought this had been settled years ago - concern for the welfare of your country does not make you right wing
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 09:55 AM

I stand with zulu on this issue insofar as uk is concerned!
But where Germany, Spain, and Italy to a lesser extent are
are concerned l believe there are grounds to be worried due
to their recent histories. But where UK is concerned there is

absolutely no chance of far right movements taking over
Just look at the recent existence rebellion! A very british
sort of rebellion l believe!
The danger in uk will come if the powers that be become
too repressive, l would be interested to hear other opinions?

Regards Donkeyman!
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
Here we see the distorted viewpoint on the lefty-liberal-remainers, where anyone who stands up for their country is automatically labelled far right, nazis, and so on

Analysis of the voting pattern in the EU Referendum shows that most of the support for Leave came from traditional Labour voters, who would be shocked and insulted to be called fascists

I thought this had been settled years ago - concern for the welfare of your country does not make you right wing
I used to be a member of the Labour Party, I wouldn’t dream of calling anyone in the Labour Party a fascist, in fact the party under Jeremy Corbyn is the antithesis of fascism.
I am a member of the SNP which a progressive centre left party which answers my concerns for the welfare of my country.
My question was why people think moving to the extremes is the answer despite the lessons of history. Please note, I didn’t post this in the Brexit forum.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 10:09 AM

I'm confused and of the opinion that the same categorization in some European countries mean different things.

Can someone list all the points of the political 'far right' and ' far left' in this country ? (bullet points please )
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 10:12 AM

We are in the middle of an election. There is a right wing party here called One Nation, an ultra right wing senator called Fraser Anning plus the conservative wing of the Liberal party.

One Nation is the only right wing party with any chance of obtaining seats (probably in Queensland) but their share of the vote according to the last opinion poll has plummeted from 11% to 5%. Fraser Anning will be consigned to the dustbin of history he only got in on the coat tails of One Nation which he promptly left being too right wing even for the appalling Pauline Hanson.

The conservative wing of the Liberal Party has held the party captive in the last parliament and forced the change of PM but the two leaders of that faction (Abbott and Dutton) could be in trouble in their safe Liberal electorates with independents picking up the middle conservative vote and challenging hard.

Actually I don't think the problem is so much a move to the right but a general distrust of the main parties with the right wing parties picking up these disillusioned voters because there is no alternative left or centralist party except the Greens. You only have to look at how the Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party picked up seats in the bush in the NSW state election at the expense of the Nationals (coalition partners with the Liberals).
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 10:20 AM

I was never a member of the Labour Party, but my left wing pedigree is as good as the next

My Grandfather was in The Clydeside Soviet; my father was a staunch trade unionist and Labour voter all his life
When I was a young man I supported all the right causes, and went on a couple of marches
For years I voted Labour, and was thoroughly happy when Tony Blair had that landslide victory in 1997
But then......

Somehow it all turned sour
The Labour Party started its slide into its current state of becoming a far left, middle class, metropolitan elite
And all the main parties were changing to become isolated, weak, and anti-British

Coincidentally, that saw the rise of UKIP, and as one of many disillusioned Labour voters, I thought - 'at last, here's someone who can speak for me!'
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
I used to be a member of the Labour Party, I wouldn’t dream of calling anyone in the Labour Party a fascist, in fact the party under Jeremy Corbyn is the antithesis of fascism.
I am a member of the SNP which a progressive centre left party which answers my concerns for the welfare of my country.
My question was why people think moving to the extremes is the answer despite the lessons of history. Please note, I didn’t post this in the Brexit forum.
The answer to your question weedy is that obviously peoples
needs are not being met by the so called middle ground,
If you start from a middle point you only have two ways to
go, left or right, what degree you deviate is subjective and
depends on the degree of your greivance
I hope my answer is sufficient for your peice of mind weedy
Please note l did not answer on the brexit forum!

Regards Donkeyman!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 10:48 AM

Complacency of voters means no change, if you feel that none represent you what's your choice. A fair system where every vote counts, is needed to restore belief in democracy.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

27-04-2019, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
We are in the middle of an election. There is a right wing party here called One Nation, an ultra right wing senator called Fraser Anning plus the conservative wing of the Liberal party.

One Nation is the only right wing party with any chance of obtaining seats (probably in Queensland) but their share of the vote according to the last opinion poll has plummeted from 11% to 5%. Fraser Anning will be consigned to the dustbin of history he only got in on the coat tails of One Nation which he promptly left being too right wing even for the appalling Pauline Hanson.

The conservative wing of the Liberal Party has held the party captive in the last parliament and forced the change of PM but the two leaders of that faction (Abbott and Dutton) could be in trouble in their safe Liberal electorates with independents picking up the middle conservative vote and challenging hard.

Actually I don't think the problem is so much a move to the right but a general distrust of the main parties with the right wing parties picking up these disillusioned voters because there is no alternative left or centralist party except the Greens. You only have to look at how the Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party picked up seats in the bush in the NSW state election at the expense of the Nationals (coalition partners with the Liberals).
Hi Brucy, Very interesting lesson in Ozzie political structures.
It seems you guys are really up to speed in this regard.
I would watch Pommies carefully for the next few months
if you wish to to learn a few more tricks in outright
treachery and contempt of electorates!
I see by the way, you didnt mention the First Nation party
in your list of parties?

Regards Donkeyman!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top