Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 08:18 PM

Re: What Is It With Polo Neck Jumpers?!!

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Phew! you are so right Art! many a polo neck or scarf saved my life back in the good old newly teenage years! and that is all I am prepared to say. Anyone remember Panstick? a quick fix cover up for love bites.
SG, l think l had one once and it was a quick dab of Panstick to cover and hide it. It was in my dreams to think no one would notice!
I felt such a slut and the boyfriend at the time, had only done it as a joke!

PS. Sorry l can’t help with your current problem!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
SG, l think l had one once and it was a quick dab of Panstick to cover and hide it. It was in my dreams to think no one would notice!
I felt such a slut and the boyfriend at the time, had only done it as a joke!

PS. Sorry l can’t help with your current problem!
you're so right Art, Panstick was flippin useless really at covering up. but I was desperate to hide it from my dad and brothers with their big mouths. My dad would have kept me indoors for the next month if he had spotted it. Problem was, that at that age, our skin was so delicate that just one foul suck on your neck by an over amourous boy, whether trying his luck or in jest, was enough to bruise a girls neck. and yes, back then it was definitely slutty to be seen with a lovebite on your neck. hence the useless Panstick, polo necked jumpers and tightly knotted scarf around my neck. Thank god, it was only about twice it ever happened. I panicked more when I had to go to school where a polo neck or scarf weren't allowed with a blouse and jumper uniform. Some girls wore their love bite(s) as a trophy or a claim to a boy, but when I had one, all I felt was abject terror that it would be seen by Dad.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I don’t like the feel of them next to my skin .

I'm the same as you, Muddy.
I couldn't wear anything clinging high round my neck at all.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 12:16 AM

Polo necks are a great idea but those of us who remember wearing these as children in the 70s and the ensuing sparks and hair static, well they are not so appealing. Trying to get your head out one was like being born again. You had to be quite athletic.

I haven't washed a polo neck in decades. I'd suggest putting it in a pillowcase though to avoid pull.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 08:21 AM

Shroppy, is the ill fitting neckline an aesthetic or thermal problem?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 08:30 AM

I've never got on with polo necks....I think you need a long neck to look good in them....I don't so they are not my thing.

One thing though with jumpers generally I think synthetic fabrics have improved tremendously over the years and wash much better than pure wool so I'm not snobby about buying them. I'm all for easy maintenance
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 10:21 AM

Wash at slightly higher temperature, might help and fold them rather than place on hangers helps to maintain the shape.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 12:30 PM

These are a couple of mine are they are worn all through the cold part of the year. These are at least a couple of years old and still in shape. It could be the material that's prone to stretching and nothing your doing at all. Get a ribbed acrylic one and try it out.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191118_230724.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	11204   Click image for larger version

Name:	FaceApp_1575976827063.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	11205   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191118_230746.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	11206  
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Polo necks are a great idea but those of us who remember wearing these as children in the 70s and the ensuing sparks and hair static, well they are not so appealing. Trying to get your head out one was like being born again. You had to be quite athletic.

I haven't washed a polo neck in decades. I'd suggest putting it in a pillowcase though to avoid pull.
Loved your expression ''Trying to get your head out one was like being born again''. Really made me chuckle, Annie,
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

10-12-2019, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Shroppy, is the ill fitting neckline an aesthetic or thermal problem?
Definitely an aesthetic problem Spitty. When I buy a polo neck sweater, I expect it to behave like a polo neck sweater, not a miniature wannabe of its big sister - the cowl neck jumper.
Usually, one would assume that Marks and Wallis would only sell good quality materials but now I can only surmise that regardless of the label, these woollens are not as well made as they once were.

Oh well, that's life.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top