Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 11:01 AM

Foxy's Newcastle upon Tyne Experience

Every year at this time Mrs Fox and me like to visit a City or Town we haven't been to before. It's an ever shortening list for me, because having been a courier there aren't many places I haven't been to, so sometimes we have to double up.

Although I've delivered on the outskirts of Newcastle, I've never been to the city centre and what a surprise it was. I didn't realise how hilly it was, and the Christmas lights were spectacular and the hospitality and friendship shown by the locals was heartwarming.....

Sleeps until Christmas at the entrance to the massive Eldon Square Shopping Complex featuring John Lewis, M&S and Fenwicks.....

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 11:48 AM

Re: Foxy's Newcastle upon Tyne Experience

What a good idea Bob to see somewhere new on a dark winter day.

Sounds like you had a good time
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
What a good idea Bob to see somewhere new on a dark winter day.

Sounds like you had a good time
The Christmas lights and market were splendid Meg, it sorta puts you in the mood for Christmas...

I never managed to get my Bratwurst though...
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 02:00 PM

Foxy, I spent a few days in Newcastle with a friend who had to work during the day but was on their own in the evening. This meant that I had to fill my day alone and , apart from a couple of occasions where I didn't easily understand what people were saying, I found the people from that area very warm and friendly.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 02:02 PM

Fantastic photos, Bob. Pleased you and Mrs F enjoyed your break
Those Geordies are lovely people.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

11-12-2019, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Foxy, I spent a few days in Newcastle with a friend who had to work during the day but was on their own in the evening. This meant that I had to fill my day alone and , apart from a couple of occasions where I didn't easily understand what people were saying, I found the people from that area very warm and friendly.
Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Fantastic photos, Bob. Pleased you and Mrs F enjoyed your break
Those Geordies are lovely people.
Thanks Twink and Floydy, it's right when they say the further north you travel the more friendly and hospitable the people are. The hotel staff were particularly helpful, nothing was too much trouble, and it was impossible to study the map without someone coming up and helping with directions..
We are definitely planning a visit in the summer where we will enjoy some of the many art galleries and museums, most of which are free....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 10:47 PM

Lovely photos Bob .... and how nice to visit different cities every year.

Wish I had thought of that years ago...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

11-12-2019, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Lovely photos Bob .... and how nice to visit different cities every year.

Wish I had thought of that years ago...
Thanks Mags, it's such a nice escape from the usual stresses of Christmas and makes you think about what Christmas really is all about, we don't take shopping lists with us, just enjoy the sights and good food.....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Mags, it's such a nice escape from the usual stresses of Christmas and makes you think about what Christmas really is all about, we don't take shopping lists with us, just enjoy the sights and good food.....
Perfect, just as it should be at this time of the year...
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Twink and Floydy, it's right when they say the further north you travel the more friendly and hospitable the people are. The hotel staff were particularly helpful, nothing was too much trouble, and it was impossible to study the map without someone coming up and helping with directions..
We are definitely planning a visit in the summer where we will enjoy some of the many art galleries and museums, most of which are free....
Visit Durham whilst you are in that area! I went up to the roof of the cathedral. It was high, so I suggest that going on a gentle summer day is a good idea... or take a warm jumper.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top