Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 05:35 PM

The Kindness Of Strangers

Rachel Finn, from Grimsby, in Lincolnshire, appeared on a BBC segment yesterday - where she emptied out just 14 pence and declared: "That's all we've got."
Strangers have flocked to donate more than £26,000 to a desperate mum who had just 14p to her name.

Rachel Finn, from Grimsby, in Lincolnshire, appeared on a BBC segment yesterday - where she emptied out just 14 pence and declared: "That's all we've got."

Now, the 39-year-old, who is living in temporary accommodation, says she has been "blown away" by the outpouring of support.

She and her 18-year-old son, Bradley, have been backed by the likes of pop star Lily Allen.

Her story captured the nation's attention after she emptied her pockets and put down four 2p pieces and six 1p coins on a table for a BBC crew reporting on vulnerable and low-income voters in Grimsby
Mirror Online reports hundreds of kind-hearted strangers have come forward to help Rachel, offering accommodation and donations, including cash, clothing, food, furniture and Christmas gifts for her and Bradley.

A JustGiving page hit the £26,000 mark on Friday morning and the Rock Foundation foodbank, which supports the single mum and her son, has been inundated with offers as well.

Rachel has asked that all donations go to the Rock Foundation so it can help her and others who are in a similar position in Grimsby, where one in four residents are on low incomes and one in two children grow up in poverty.

She said of the support: "I'm a bit overwhelmed, it's amazing. It's blown me away how many people want to help."
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 08:08 PM

Re: The Kindness Of Strangers

I hope her and her son manage to have a lovely Christmas
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 08:55 PM

Lovely reading, thanks for sharing.

We have a 81 year old man missing in our region, tomorrow he will have been missing for 3 weeks and the support and community togetherness to search for this missing man has been overwhelming for his family.

There are 18,000 people on the 'find Colin Vasey' facebook site and there have been lots and lots of people going out in search parties every day and night looking for him. They have set up a crowdfunding page for his family to keep the search ongoing.

It is very strange, Colin was last seen on CCTV 3 weeks ago near where he lived at about 6am I think it was, dressed in pyjama bottoms and a fleece jacket. Apparently he had shoved his keys back through his letterbox so it does make me wonder if he didn't want to be found.

We are all hoping and praying that he is found safe and well but I'm really worried that the longer he is missing the less likely he is to be found alive.

It is so heartwarming when communities and people come together in times of need. A bit like here, I love how when one of us in in need of support on this forum how we know we are all here for each other.

God bless that lady and her son, may she have a beautiful and happy Christmas.
x
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 11:25 PM

LQ ,how distressing for the family to dwell on the action this elderly man took by posting his keys back through the letterbox .
I see the police have concluded their investigations but of course the search will go on .
Yes ,it’s heartwarming how the kindness of strangers comes into play when very sad things happen .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 11:41 PM

Sometimes locally, when a dog goes missing, lots of people search fields and buildings and knock on doors. More often than not, they find it.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 03:29 AM

Kindness of the plain simple kind is one of the most important things to the human race as far as I am concerned. There's plenty around sure but there's always room for more.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 10:36 AM

So let me get this right. This Rachel Finn woman is NOT homeless, these living in temporary accommodation granted but that is still a home for her and her kid. She didn't pay rent and EVENTUALLY got kicked out.

She's got an eighteen year old son who if able to attend college is obviously capable of GETTING A JOB or even JOBS which is exactly what he should do. He should also have been aware that there were problems with (presumably) Mrs Finn so why did he not get involved with earlier?

Then there's the question of his father ---

Sorry, I've no sympathy for them. Just another example of the entitlement generation.

To be frank I smell bull, spin, and BBC Leftie politics all around this.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
So let me get this right. This Rachel Finn woman is NOT homeless, these living in temporary accommodation granted but that is still a home for her and her kid. She didn't pay rent and EVENTUALLY got kicked out.

She's got an eighteen year old son who if able to attend college is obviously capable of GETTING A JOB or even JOBS which is exactly what he should do. He should also have been aware that there were problems with (presumably) Mrs Finn so why did he not get involved with earlier?

Then there's the question of his father ---

Sorry, I've no sympathy for them. Just another example of the entitlement generation.

To be frank I smell bull, spin, and BBC Leftie politics all around this.
Have to admit both my kids worked at 18 yrs and did so right through university ...but we don't know his story maybe he has special needs or something. It would be interesting to revisit her in about six months to see if the money has been used wisely...hope the BBC do that.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Have to admit both my kids worked at 18 yrs and did so right through university ...but we don't know his story maybe he has special needs or something. It would be interesting to revisit her in about six months to see if the money has been used wisely...hope the BBC do that.
If he can go to college and slob around with his mates he can get a job.
Zuleika
North West UK

08-12-2019, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
It would be interesting to revisit her in about six months to see if the money has been used wisely...hope the BBC do that.
Did you miss this in the OP Summer ?

"Rachel has asked that all donations
go to the Rock Foundation so it can help her and others who are in a similar position in Grimsby, where one in four residents are on low incomes and one in two children grow up in poverty"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top