Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 07:59 AM

Re: Badger

Last night drove Mr M to airport at 3.30 am and saw another badger crossing the road .
So that's two in the course of a few days not bad!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 08:07 AM

You are lucky, Muddy, I have never seen one live - just squashed ones on the road. They are lovely creatures - but inclined to be shy.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 08:57 AM

Im lulcky to live within 2 miles of a 100 year + Badger set, its now protected as it used to attract Badger baiters.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 09:06 AM

There is a badger set down the field next to my house. I have seen an adult badgers there in the early morning with cubs but only from a distance.
I often see the badgers at night when I take Chloe for a late walk. If I shine my torch in the little pen used for sheep they are scratching about in there.

They also make 'latrines' round the edges of the fields marking the territorial boundry , holes full of poo often with fruit stones in it. There are lots of them so guess we have a quite a number of badgers.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 10:38 PM

My garden backs onto a nature reserve and I can clearly see a badger set in the woods behind my neighbour's garden.

Lovely creatures aren't they? NOT!!! There are people round here who have given up on a having a lawn in their gardens and what was a lawn now exists looking like a ploughed field.

For myself...........the flipping badgers squeeze through the tiniest of spaces, dig under fences - it's almost impossible to keep them out. They dig around for grubs and dig up my lawn to the point it's no longer a lawn. They appear to favour my garden over all the other gardens here. So...........the final solution: an electric fence!!! researched it as best as I could; discarded the "electric fence kits" which are far from complete; learned more about ohms than the guy in the local country store and finally bought a mains energiser from Amazon on which the first review was "I didn't know cats could jump that high"!!!

I've just returned from holiday and have positive proof the badgers have come into the garden.......but haven't touched the lawn because of the fence!! Success at last!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2018, 11:45 PM

Have seen many of them in N. Wales when we stayed in the hills and valleys. They used to influx our site at night , and to be honest they also had some vicious fights between them.

Our local farmer, warned us not to ever go near them, as they are unpredictable and can bite your arm off. Their jaws are might strong. Even if there is an injured, or what you might think dead one on the road, stay well away.
They would kill a dog !
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Have seen many of them in N. Wales when we stayed in the hills and valleys. They used to influx our site at night , and to be honest they also had some vicious fights between them.

Our local farmer, warned us not to ever go near them, as they are unpredictable and can bite your arm off. Their jaws are might strong. Even if there is an injured, or what you might think dead one on the road, stay well away.
They would kill a dog !
Here in our part of North Wales most of the badgers I have seen are road kill. However a good many years ago I was out with one of our dogs in the woods, when a live badger came up to us. It was clearly going to take on our animal, even though it was a lot bigger than the badger. I thought it best to take remove myself and the dog before blood started flowing.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top