Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 10:54 AM

Camellia Bud drop

Having just seen this question asked on another thread , I thought i would share this , On Gardeners World Monty Don said after flowering be sure to water and feed through the summer Months because if you dont the Buds will drop and you wont gt a good display the following year .
So i fed and watered mine every two weeks when i remembered during summer ,
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 06:51 PM

Re: Camellia Bud drop

Mine is flowering now and far better than it was earlier in the year. Don’t they usually flower in March, I got mine one Mother’s Day?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 07:09 PM

Yes they Do Val , but in Autumn when the hours of daylight and temps are
right plants are fooled into believing its spring.
Mine are full of Buds no flowers though .you may get fewer flowers next year .
I think mine flowered in April May not sure without looking at photos ..
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 07:15 PM

Thanks for posting this thread Eliza

Mine have plenty of buds on them and I have watered them throughout the summer .... but I didn't feed them Is it too late to feed them now?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England

31-10-2017, 07:18 PM

Yes I think to late now Mags , but watering them was most important.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 08:05 PM

Thanks Eliza, I'll remember that for next year
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Yes I think to late now Mags , but watering them was most important.

I agree with Eliza. Once they have finished blooming, water and feed with an ericaceous feed fortnightly (or at least water) because this is the time they are forming buds for next years blooms.

Mine are in tubs so are even more dependent for food and water.
I give the same treatment to my Rhodedendrons too to help good buds for the next year, plus an occasional treat with sequested Iron.

Don't forget to only use rainwater too, as tap water has too much calcium in it for these plants.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

02-11-2017, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the advice ladies
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 10:21 AM

After seeing this thread, I walked down to the end of the garden to check mine. It has plenty of new green buds so I'm hoping for plenty of blooms next year. During the summer I was giving it a bucket full of water per day (mostly rain water) which seems to have worked, also gave it a couple of feeds.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 10:53 AM

You'll probably be alright then dongle, but what sometimes happens is although there are buds, the buds can start to drop off again before they open.
Sudden severe frost can cause this too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top