Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 10:57 PM

Re: Is this fact or scam? (Microsoft update)

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I wonder if Microsoft read all this stuff about them?
Of course they do .. snooping to see how it's reluctant consumers figure out little hacks and how they can scupper them.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
The problem with doing that Bruce is if an important update comes along I may not be able to get it.
That is true but you can re-turn it on at any time, just do that after a major upgrade is available if you wish.

Personally I couldn't be bothered with turning it off in the first place, constant upgrades seems to be a fact of life with M$ and Android
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 07:05 AM

I'm so glad I use a MacBook.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 08:25 AM

With the concerns there are with the upcoming Windows 10 update and the uncertainty there is about the methods of stopping unwanted updates (the 'it didn't work for me' comments), it might be prudent to make sure there is enough disk space available for the update to go ahead, just as a precaution in case it doesn't get stopped. I think the update needs 10 gigabytes but 15 or more would be better. Most computers with decent sized hard drives or SSDs would have that anyway but best to be certain.

As might have been noted from posts in the past (but probably not), I recommend Linux for those who dislike Windows. It costs nothing to switch to it, apart from perhaps paying somebody to install it if not able to do it yourself. It may not be for all computers and situations but worth looking into in my opinion.

I don't know if all Linux programs are up to the standard of some Windows programs but there nearly always is an equivalent for any Windows program. Linux Mint is certainly good enough for all the more regular things that are done on computers such as writing documents, using the Internet (posting in forums), Skype, e-mail, working with photos and images.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Of course they do .. snooping to see how it's reluctant consumers figure out little hacks and how they can scupper them.
I believe that in accepting updates you are creating a two way street. Not only can microsoft download updates, they can also upload information. You are giving them permission to access your computer, bank details, passwords, in fact every keystroke you have ever made on your computer can be uploaded through this method of communication.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
As might have been noted from posts in the past (but probably not), I recommend Linux for those who dislike Windows. It costs nothing to switch to it, apart from perhaps paying somebody to install it if not able to do it yourself. It may not be for all computers and situations but worth looking into in my opinion.

I don't know if all Linux programs are up to the standard of some Windows programs but there nearly always is an equivalent for any Windows program. Linux Mint is certainly good enough for all the more regular things that are done on computers such as writing documents, using the Internet (posting in forums), Skype, e-mail, working with photos and images.
I've often thought about installing Linux Mint on an old laptop. I'll get round to it soon, hopefully.

I think that, first, I'll have to look into more details. I assume I shall have to use the existing Windows (?7 or XP) to download the software, but I'm not sure whether it will be possible to install it whilst Windows is still running, or delete the Windows OS.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 10:26 AM

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I've often thought about installing Linux Mint on an old laptop. I'll get round to it soon, hopefully.

I think that, first, I'll have to look into more details. I assume I shall have to use the existing Windows (?7 or XP) to download the software, but I'm not sure whether it will be possible to install it whilst Windows is still running, or delete the Windows OS.
An old laptop might be good enough but something worth noting. I've got Linux Mint 19 with the Cinnamon Desktop installed on a laptop computer (dual-booting with Windows). Also on a Desktop computer that I've recently resurrected. I know Linux operating systems are thought to be lighter on resources and run on any old computer but that's not necessarily so. I had to fit a better graphics card to the Desktop computer because it was overheating while running Linux.

When you download Linux Mint, it comes as a .iso file (linuxmint-19-cinnamon-64bit-v2.iso). In windows 10, right-clicking on the file gives the option to burn it to DVD. There will be a way to put the installation files onto a USB stick but I've always used a DVD, so haven't looked into it. I can't remember if Windows 7 has this option or not. If not, a third-party program would be needed for the job. Maybe ImgBurn or similar.

Once the installation files are on a DVD or USB stick, the computer has to be booted up from that. Pressing the appropriate key on the computer's keyboard as it boots should bring up a boot options window where you can choose which device the computer boots up from. Choose the DVD drive or USB stick.

Then wait ages for the Linux OS to load from the DVD. When complete, that's the stage at which you can actually try Linux Mint without installing it. It will be slow and somewhat limited in function because it's running from the installation media. Nonetheless, you get to take a look at it without any changes being made to the computer.

When/if you decide to actually install Linux Mint, note the file on the Desktop for doing so. Click on it and follow the instructions reading each dialogue box carefully. At some stage there will be an option to either wipe out the Windows OS and use the entire disk, or to install Linux alongside the existing Windows OS in a dual-boot arrangement. If opting for the latter, Linux Mint will set this up for you. When the Linux installation is complete and the computer is re-booted, there will be an option to boot into either Windows or Linux.

It goes almost without saying that any important files should be backed up before starting the above procedure. Ideally, make a complete disk image and a Windows boot disk. If anything goes dreadfully amiss, you can boot up from the boot disk, access the disk image and overwrite the whole lot to get back to where you started from.

Edit: Linux Mint also receives a good number of updates but I think Linux users generally have more trust in these than Windows users have in Windows updates.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 03:54 PM

Thank goodness I have a Mac, no problems with updates at all
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
An old laptop might be good enough but something worth noting. I've got Linux Mint 19 with the Cinnamon Desktop installed on a laptop computer (dual-booting with Windows). Also on a Desktop computer that I've recently resurrected. I know Linux operating systems are thought to be lighter on resources and run on any old computer but that's not necessarily so. I had to fit a better graphics card to the Desktop computer because it was overheating while running Linux.

When you download Linux Mint, it comes as a .iso file (linuxmint-19-cinnamon-64bit-v2.iso). In windows 10, right-clicking on the file gives the option to burn it to DVD. There will be a way to put the installation files onto a USB stick but I've always used a DVD, so haven't looked into it. I can't remember if Windows 7 has this option or not. If not, a third-party program would be needed for the job. Maybe ImgBurn or similar.

Once the installation files are on a DVD or USB stick, the computer has to be booted up from that. Pressing the appropriate key on the computer's keyboard as it boots should bring up a boot options window where you can choose which device the computer boots up from. Choose the DVD drive or USB stick.

Then wait ages for the Linux OS to load from the DVD. When complete, that's the stage at which you can actually try Linux Mint without installing it. It will be slow and somewhat limited in function because it's running from the installation media. Nonetheless, you get to take a look at it without any changes being made to the computer.

When/if you decide to actually install Linux Mint, note the file on the Desktop for doing so. Click on it and follow the instructions reading each dialogue box carefully. At some stage there will be an option to either wipe out the Windows OS and use the entire disk, or to install Linux alongside the existing Windows OS in a dual-boot arrangement. If opting for the latter, Linux Mint will set this up for you. When the Linux installation is complete and the computer is re-booted, there will be an option to boot into either Windows or Linux.

It goes almost without saying that any important files should be backed up before starting the above procedure. Ideally, make a complete disk image and a Windows boot disk. If anything goes dreadfully amiss, you can boot up from the boot disk, access the disk image and overwrite the whole lot to get back to where you started from.

Edit: Linux Mint also receives a good number of updates but I think Linux users generally have more trust in these than Windows users have in Windows updates.
That's very helpful. Thank you.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top